Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcardes in Dublin

Options
  • 28-04-2013 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Apologies if this isn't the correct forum for this. I've had a good poke around boards and this one seemed most likely.

Having dropped into Dr Quirkeys recently for the first time in years and been disappointed with the way it's gone, are there any good games arcades left around Dublin city?

I'm ideally looking for multiplayer car racing games or shooters.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

R.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you can manage to get out to Bray bowl they have BYOB nights on the weekends. Ten euro in and all the machines are on freeplay.

From memory, some of the games they have -

House of the Dead 2
    Time Crisis 2
    Time Crisis 3
    Silent Scope
    Police Trainer
    Starwars Arcade
    Sega Rally (one of the newer ones)
    Another sit down car game which I cant remember the name of
    Some ride on bike twin game I also cant remember the name of
    Street Fighter 2
    Metal Slug 3
    One of those dancy game things

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ruairi

o1s1n wrote: »
    If you can manage to get out to Bray bowl they have BYOB nights on the weekends. Ten euro in and all the machines are on freeplay.

House of the Dead 2
    Time Crisis 2
    Time Crisis 3
    Silent Scope
    Police Trainer
    Starwars Arcade
    Street Fighter 2
    Metal Slug 3

That does sound great, thanks. The Mrs & I will have to pop down on the Dart next weekend and check it out :-)

Master of the Universe

It's really great craic. Bowling and all the pool tables are included in the €10 euro admittance.

Plus you can bring your own cans, which just seals the deal for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I miss real arcades, seaside places with dimly lit smokey areas, weird locals and fag burn stained cabinets with Double Dragon and Kung Fu Master, by gar those were the days!

Master of the Universe

I just wish I'd taken photos in Dawson's and Fun Palace on Bray seafront all those years ago :(. They're just foggy memories now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I woulda spent summers in Clare so places like Kilkee and Lahinch had good arcades, or Ballybunion in Kerry, there were some great ones there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

House of the Dead 2
    Time Crisis 2
    Time Crisis 3
    Silent Scope
    Police Trainer
    Starwars Arcade
    Street Fighter 2
    Metal Slug 3

Seems like a nice collection of cabs, I think I'll pay a vist with a bag o' cans.
    I went to the BYOB in Stillorgan bowl.
    Only a handfull of Cabs to speak of...Terminator cab with broken guns,Nice sitdown Outrun 2 cab which took a few quid of me, and a lovely looking Lindbergh cab running VF5 that was out of order!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

Originally Posted by o1s1n

House of the Dead 2
    Time Crisis 2
    Time Crisis 3
    Silent Scope
    Police Trainer
    Starwars Arcade
    Street Fighter 2
    Metal Slug 3

Sounds like my games room ............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Am I the only one who doesn't like Metal Slug 3?

Master of the Universe

deathrider wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't like Metal Slug 3?

As long as you like Metal Slug 1,2 and X!

3 does go a bit mental. I wasnt a big fan of it for years but have really grown to love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

3 does go a bit mental. I wasnt a big fan of it for years but have really grown to love it.

Metal Slug 3 ftw!!! :):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Metal-Slug-Anthology-fur-Playstation-2-Guter-Zustand-Komplett-/271195325768?pt=DE_PC_Videospiele&hash=item3f24804548

Thinkin of getting this Metal Slug Anthology, seems to go for 20euro or so on ebay.

I'm ashamed to say the only metal slug I own and have ever played is Metal Slug 1st mission on the Neo Geo Pocket Colour.

I presume its worth getting the anthology yeah?

Just saw this on the wiki site about laggy controls. Is it true? If so I wouldnt bother with it. It'd be the Pal PS2 version I'd be getting....

"The Metal Slug Anthology received positive reviews but was criticized for its lack of Classic Controller support on the Wii version, and sluggish, "laggy" controls on the PAL PlayStation 2 version, which had a noticeable delay when entering button presses."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I love the first few, and I really enjoy 4,5 and 6 too. But 3 was just too long and drawn out. By the end of it, I find myself bored and only finishing the game because I'm too far in to stop.

Oh, and murphyebass, get that disc! All seven games (X included) on the one disc. It's great craic, and well worth the cash.

Master of the Universe

deathrider wrote: »
    I love the first few, and I really enjoy 4,5 and 6 too. But 3 was just too long and drawn out. By the end of it, I find myself bored and only finishing the game because I'm too far in to stop.

Oh, and murphyebass, get that disc! All seven games (X included) on the one disc. It's great craic, and well worth the cash.

1ccing is the only way to play (and get good) at a Metal Slug game. Once those three lives are up, don't put any more credits in. You'd be surprised how quickly you can get through the first few stages alive after a while.

Metal Slug 3 is indeed just too feckin long. Finishing it even by credit feeding can be a pain in the ass due to the length. 'Yay it's over!' no wait, ANOTHER stage! argh!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

House of the Dead 2
    Time Crisis 2
    Time Crisis 3
    Silent Scope
    Police Trainer
    Starwars Arcade
    Street Fighter 2
    Metal Slug 3

This sounds like a great idea! Would you generally be waiting a while for a machine/lane/table to free up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

An arcade longplay on YouTube clocks metal slug 3 at 57 mins

Master of the Universe

This sounds like a great idea! Would you generally be waiting a while for a machine/lane/table to free up?

The lanes you need to put your name down for as they're the most packed, pool & air hockey tables tend to be one or two free when you get in (there are loads of pool tables)

Machines are never packed with people, so you can just walk over and start whenever the mood takes you :)

Master of the Universe

An arcade longplay on YouTube clocks metal slug 3 at 57 mins

As a comparison, any 1cc attempts I've filmed of me playing Metal Slug have me up to stage 5 in about 20 minutes from what I can remember.

An hour is just too long to keep people's interests I think.

Advertisement