Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please

Options
  • 28-04-2013 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

My gf and I want to get married. I'm currently out of work and she gets one parent family as she has a child from a previous relationship.

How will this affect her payment

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Depends,
    Do you live together now?
    Are you employed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭ladysarah

if she is claiming single parents allowance she will have that removed but if you are unemployed you can claim for her and the child but will be down to about 360 per week. You stand to be cut by about a hundred euros. If you are working she will get no socail welfare but will be addedto yr tax credits.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Moved to State Benefits.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

My gf and I want to get married. I'm currently out of work and she gets one parent family as she has a child from a previous relationship.

One of you will have to claim for the other a a dependant adult after the marriage.

Main claimant gets €188,dependant adult gets €124.80 and €29.80 per dependant child.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Supersiderman

pwurple wrote: »
    Depends,
    Do you live together now?
    Are you employed?

Nope not living togather now, I'm currently out of work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Supersiderman

Just to add she is currently in an internship. We would do it tomorrow if we knew where we stood. I do the few nixers but not much. Should we or shouldn't we.

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciate them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

if you're both unemployed I think you'd be worse off financially if together. If this is a temporary situation, i.e. you're hopeful of getting work, then think of it in the long-term or maybe plan on getting wed when you have something steadier going.
    all that said, don't put off "being together" on the long finger as who knows how long it may last. fingers crossed though you'll get sorted with a job.

Gatica wrote: »
    if you're both unemployed I think you'd be worse off financially if together.

I am not sure this is true? They would now qualify for family income supplement, plus he can claim both the wife and child as dependents.

I may be wrong, but I don't see how.

She gets single parent allowance plus the usual welfare payments (?) as an unemployed adult + he gets unemployment benefit = more

Together the get 1 unemployment benefit + 1 adult dependent benefit = less

Child benefit I think is the same.

Even if she doesn't get welfare in addition to single parent payment, they'd lose difference between what a single unemployed adult gets and what a dependent adult gets.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Gatica wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but I don't see how.

She gets single parent allowance plus the usual welfare payments (?) as an unemployed adult + he gets unemployment benefit = more

Together the get 1 unemployment benefit + 1 adult dependent benefit = less

Child benefit I think is the same.

Even if she doesn't get welfare in addition to single parent payment, they'd lose difference between what a single unemployed adult gets and what a dependent adult gets.
    You are correct financially, but they would be married which I'm sure would make all the difference.

• Advertisement

I think they would qualify for other benefits though to compensate. Family income supplement and a change in rent allowance / rent supplement. It is difficult to work it out though without knowing all the circumstances.

Plus running one household instead of two, and the economies involved there. Car insurance is less, small things like that.

Not to mention removing the risk of her being investigated for welfare fraud if he stays over the odd time and a neighbour reports them.

mp22 wrote: »
    You are correct financially, but they would be married which I'm sure would make all the difference.

What the OP wanted to know is how it would affect them (and I'm sure not from a relationship point of view, but financial):

as I said:
    Gatica wrote:
    if you're both unemployed I think you'd be worse off financially ...
    all that said, don't put off "being together" on the long finger as who knows how long it may last.

I'm not advocating financial advantage over their relationship. Simply stating the facts as I see them and as the OP has requested.
    I think they would qualify for other benefits though to compensate. Family income supplement and a change in rent allowance / rent supplement.

I hope they do, but I don't see which ones. I don't think there's much more one can get, e.g. rent allowance allowance is marginally more for a couple than a single person. That's fine if they're sharing a single room anyway vs. 2 places of accommodation. Tax credits are only good to you if you're earning enough and if one of you is not working, i.e. if you're both hardly earning there's no difference and if both of you earn above the credits then there's also no difference.

Plus running one household instead of two, and the economies involved there. Car insurance is less, small things like that.

I agree with that. I guess as you said, without knowing all circumstances we're only speculating.
    Not to mention removing the risk of her being investigated for welfare fraud if he stays over the odd time and a neighbour reports them.

I couldn't see this as an issue. How would someone prove that your boyfriend is a long-time partner rather than a temporary love interest?

Advertisement