Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubai?

Options
  • 27-04-2013 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I am hoping to move to Dubai late this year/early next year if I can get certain stuff together first.

I will be finished college this year so I will be certified. This summer I am hoping to complete a tefl online course but I was wondering which one I would need to teach in the UAE. As soon as I type tefl into google I get many different options and I don't want to pick the wrong one. Or do I need more than a tefl to teach english in the UAE?

If anybody has done this or knows any info please let me know :-)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I did this very thing last year. Writing to you from my tefl mansion in Dubai right now.

I learned TEFL here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Saudi Arabia don't sell Flintstones dvds.

But Abu Dhabi do.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Ooh poor student(stereotype) able to afford an educational break in Dubai, damn i'm jealous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,780 ✭✭✭✭Basq

You're doing a course in non-stick coating? Is that in NUIG?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

If you're ridiculously good looking they'll only throw you out you know!

Are you ridicuolusly good looking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Chucken wrote: »
    If you're ridiculously good looking they'll only throw you out you know!

Are you ridicuolusly good looking?
    He's looking for career advice in After Hours. He better be good looking, it won't be brains that gets him there.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shankespony

Don't mean to rain on your parade but was out there last year and nearly everyone speaks good english. Who will you be teaching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Don't mean to rain on your parade but was out there last year and nearly everyone speaks good english. Who will you be teaching?

The ones who can't speak good english, mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If you take out an a and put in an l and an n it's basically just Dublin, don't go there OP

So Timmy tell me how much you know about Dubai and can add to the debate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Wont get very far or very much money in UAE or most countries in the Middle East with just a tefl im afraid. A lot of qualified teachers go there. TEFL's aren't worth a lot. Try doing a CELT or CELTA.

If you want to earn and save a bit go to Korea, if war doesn't break out obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Is this even a debate? I would call it a roast. But I look forward to seeing what Timmy says next.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

A huge percentage of immigrant workers there can't speak English actually, nor do they have to.

Most of the Irish out there teaching are well qualified and their employers are quite thorough in terms of what they are looking for so BillyMitchel is right. However if you do get out there fantastic place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

So Timmy tell me how much you know about Dubai and can add to the debate?
    Is this even a debate? I would call it a roast. But I look forward to seeing what Timmy says next.

...and back to Timmy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Well I was simply highlighting the point that the Op would likely be teaching those who don't speak English, as I assume (perhaps incorrectly and maybe you can correct me on this) that those in Dubai who are already familiar with the English language wouldn't want to bother themselves with learning it again. Therefore my above comment was conceived. I hope that answer was satisfactory to your liking oh mighty, King of Dubai.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Brazil is the place to go.

No bother Dimmy, English is widely and always spoken too, many locals know excellent English and some are bilingual or even trilingual at the very least. It is normal for one to know at least two, three or more languages. Highly likely locals know Arabic, English or French and Hindi, some may know far Asian languages such as Japanese and Persian or Tagalog and even others.

English is everywhere and the second largest language in the UAE after Arabic, So hence my question as to who will they be teaching. So hence if you haven't lived there how would you know there hi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

He could probably kick off having a go teaching all the Mayo Engineers working out there a few words. If that went well and he proved his talents, he could move up to the Kerry Site managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Teaching Abroad forum is more appropriate for your query. Please read their charter before posting.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement