Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student fees -social welfare

Options
  • 27-04-2013 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

My parents are on social welfare and they don't seem to give a damn about me.I'll finish secondary school this year and will probably get 500+ points.The thing is they don't have any savings and as far I know the fees for college are 3000 euro,right?

I bet I won't be going to college...

Are there any reductions for the fees if both parents are on social welfare?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 rockygsd123

You probably haven't heard of SUSI yet but believe me, you'll get your fees paid for you (How much depends on your financial situation)
    and will get from 800 to 300 euro (How much depends on your financial situation) so just focus on your studies everything's gonna be fine
    and good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

crow2 wrote: »
    My parents are on social welfare and they don't seem to give a damn about me.I'll finish secondary school this year and will probably get 500+ points.The thing is they don't have any savings and as far I know the fees for college are 3000 euro,right?
    crow2 wrote: »

I bet I won't be going to college...

Are there any reductions for the fees if both parents are on social welfare?

Thanks.

Hi Crow2,

In regards to your query, SuSi awards a grant with three different sections. We award Fees, Maintenance and Student Contribution. We base our decision on what you’re eligible for on a means test and what level of education you’re attending.

You will need to apply to find out exactly what you are entitled to. You will be able to apply shortly once the system opens and you will find the application form through the following link: https://www.grantsonline.ie/index_alt.html

Also if you are an Irish Citizen you are eligible to receive your fees paid for once for any Higher Education course by the Department of Education. This is organised through your college. You can find the information regarding this through the following link: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/fees.html

If you have any other queries please feel free to ask.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Advertisement