Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garden furniture - knackered

Options
  • 27-04-2013 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi, I bought this table a few years ago and it's not in the best of condtion, what's the best answer? just re-stain it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sand it and stain it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Or sand and paint it. I get longer life out of paint than stain. Depends if you like the look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Looks like it lives outside and, if so, it won't last long. If you haven't room to keep it inside during the long winter months you would be better off investing in a cast iron/cast alloy one. They need repainting every couple of years but last a lifetime. :)

cast_iron_furniture_after.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Looks like it lives outside and, if so, it won't last long. If you haven't room to keep it inside during the long winter months you would be better off investing in a cast iron/cast alloy one. They need repainting every couple of years but last a lifetime. :)

cast_iron_furniture_after.jpg

Surely cast iron designs have moved on since the Victorians?hopefully!

Surely cast iron designs have moved on since the Victorians?hopefully!

Why? A classic design that hasn't been improved on. Our set came from a Civic Amenity site on the Isle of Man back in 1998 and are still going strong 15+ years into their 2nd life - you won't find many of the modern wooden tables and chairs lasting that long. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Why? A classic design that hasn't been improved on. Our set came from a Civic Amenity site on the Isle of Man back in 1998 and are still going strong 15+ years into their 2nd life - you won't find many of the modern wooden tables and chairs lasting that long. :)
    Defo agree they'll last longer than the wood, couldn't see that style in an uber swanky, clean-lined, urban roof garden though. Each to their own by all means :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Broche07 wrote: »
    Hi, I bought this table a few years ago and it's not in the best of condtion, what's the best answer? just re-stain it?

Thanks

Sand/Clean it and then give it a coat of Owatrol Oil.

http://www.owatrol.com/index.php?langue=en&page=produits-textrol

http://www.owatrol.com/index.php?langue=en&page=produits-aquadecks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Thanks

Greying timbers can be quickly and easily restored like new. Use a proprietary cleaner (Cuprinol Furniture Restorer) to remove all kinds of weathering effects including algae, mould etc. Works in about 15 mins.

Afterwards when dry re-oil or re-stain timber to look like new.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Broche07

Thanks for all the advice, the Cuprinol product seems to get very mixed reviews though. What about painting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Thanks for all the advice, the Cuprinol product seems to get very mixed reviews though. What about painting it?

Mixed reviews where? Cuprinol paints etc are excellent.

Before you paint anything, you normally prepare/clean the surface, and this applies to garden furniture. Heavily soiled furniture should be cleaned before painting, if you want to do the job right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Here is what you need, bought this recently, lifetime job & looks great
    http://www.brendansornamentalconcrete.com/Garden%20furniture%20large%20pic27.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

http://www.brendansornamentalconcrete.com/Garden%20furniture%20large%20pic27.html

500 yo yos?? That the correct price? When you consider a cheap wooden furniture set in woodies costs about 300 thats a bargain if the price is correct!

ronan45 wrote: »
    500 yo yos?? That the correct price? When you consider a cheap wooden furniture set in woodies costs about 300 thats a bargain if the price is correct!

Yep, that's what I paid about a month ago, if you spend €500 they also throw in a €50 gift, bird bath, flower pot with stand or a free pump water feature (not sure what that is though) we chose this to match the furniture, it's about 4 foot high,
    http://www.brendansornamentalconcrete.com/Garden%20flower%20pots,%20garden%20planter%20boxes,%20patio%20planters,%20garden%20water%20features,%20garden%20fountains%20large%20pic%203.html

Only maintenance required is wipe them down & a coat of sealant every couple of years, if you choose to, you can paint them a different colour and then just apply sealant

They charge a small delivery fee, they are in north Kerry, €20 to deliver to Limerick, further away I think it's €50

Well happy with the service, takes a few weeks for them to manufacture from the time you order, paid a deposit through paypal, they have other options, balance COD

To me that's an abomination but each to his/her own. :D

Have a look here
    http://www.specsavers.ie/ :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Wouldn't be my style either from first glance. Are they moulded concrete, painted?

I can't make out the material at all.

pwurple wrote: »
    Wouldn't be my style either from first glance. Are they moulded concrete, painted?

I can't make out the material at all.

I'm not an expert on this but they are pre-cast concrete, painted & sealed. One of the reasons I went with it was because I was sick & tired of ending up with garden furniture like the OP's, don't have to cover it or move it in or out of a shed as required, too much rain here for looking after wooden furniture & I couldn't be arsed minding it so went with this, plonk it down where I want it & leave it there, should last 100yrs so will see me out, happy days

I'm very happy with it but appreciate others will have different tastes

Very heavy also

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Broche07

thanks, the mixed reviews come from here, it might be down to misapplication though

http://reviews.homebase.co.uk/1494-en_gb/369134/reviews.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I just let my solid teak furniture go grey.

Might pressure wash it every few years.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm not an expert on this but they are pre-cast concrete, painted & sealed. One of the reasons I went with it was because I was sick & tired of ending up with garden furniture like the OP's, don't have to cover it or move it in or out of a shed as required, too much rain here for looking after wooden furniture & I couldn't be arsed minding it so went with this, plonk it down where I want it & leave it there, should last 100yrs so will see me out, happy days

I'm very happy with it but appreciate others will have different tastes

Very heavy also
    They do get mossy, so need some looking after

• Advertisement
Advertisement