Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finishing college on BTEA

Options
  • 27-04-2013 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

hi there,

i am currently on BTEA and in college, although i'll finally be finished this sumer. it looks like i will have to sign up for jobseekers allowance until i find a job.

i am 22 and since i am on BTEA i get 188 per week, although 22 year olds on jobseekers currently get only 144. since i am getting 188 now, will my money stay at 188 when i get jobseekers? or is there a way to apply for 188 instead of 144 as i have been relying on 188 while i was on BTEA? i'm renting a place currently and im worried if it gets reduced to 144 i won't be able to afford rent/bills etc

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I would say it will definitely revert back to the lower payment, how long are you renting, maybe you could get Rent Allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

darego wrote: »
    hi there,

i am currently on BTEA and in college, although i'll finally be finished this sumer. it looks like i will have to sign up for jobseekers allowance until i find a job.

i am 22 and since i am on BTEA i get 188 per week, although 22 year olds on jobseekers currently get only 144. since i am getting 188 now, will my money stay at 188 when i get jobseekers? or is there a way to apply for 188 instead of 144 as i have been relying on 188 while i was on BTEA? i'm renting a place currently and im worried if it gets reduced to 144 i won't be able to afford rent/bills etc

cheers

Were you on age-reduced Jobseekers Allowance payment before you started BTEA? If you were, you will revert to the age reduced payment but if you were on full amount you will return to the full amount.

Exceptions to age-related Jobseeker's Allowance payments for people under 25

The reduced age-related personal and qualified adult rates of Jobseeker’s Allowance for claimants under 25 years of age do not apply to:

Claimants with dependent children
    People transferring to Jobseeker’s Allowance immediately after finishing their entitlement to Jobseeker’s Benefit
    People transferring from Disability Allowance to Jobseeker’s Allowance
    Existing Jobseeker’s Allowance claimants who are assessed at the higher rate of allowance, get work but lose that job and are back on Jobseeker’s Allowance within 12 months
    People under 25 participating in a course of education, training or Community Employment. (However, when the course ends you will return to an age-related JA payment, if you were getting one before you started the course.)
    People who were at least 20 years of age on 30 December 2009 and became unemployed on or before 30 December 2009
    People who were 18 or 19 on 30 December 2009 and became unemployed on or before 29 April 2009
    People aged 22 to 24 who are taking part in the Work Placement Programme
    Certain children in the care of the HSE during the 12 months before reaching 18 years of age are also be assessed using the JA rate for people aged 25 or ove

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

yeah i was on 100 p/w as i was 20 before i started getting BTEA. although i was living at home and not renting, looks like i'll be moving back in with the parents until i find a job ;-)

cheers lads

Advertisement