Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air vent leaking

Options
  • 27-04-2013 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I've gas in the house but the problem I'm having is the vent in the hot press is leaking,
    I've depressurised the system to stop it and I've a replacement got so is it just s matter of switching the vents and repressuriseing the system?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

It should be , but are you replacing the air vent with the exact same type ? if they are the type with the black cap i think they are ****e and always leak for no reason after years.

I and many other plumbers use the red cap , Flamco brand ones, i must have installed hundreds of these and have not once seen one leak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Hi it a black cap one there was no cap on the leaky one maybe that's why it leaked! Alls good now anyway thanks just to paint the water damage and dry all the wet linen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

+1 on the flamco vents

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭310

hi put a value on so you can replace next time without draining down system ie penny value before air vent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭QBE

310 wrote: »
    hi put a value on so you can replace next time without draining down system ie penny value before air vent

that's a great name 310. would you remember the solder fittings called 101 and 105 and 108. I think there called t10 t15 t18. sorry for the post. your user name has brought memories back. jesus I spent me first year learning all them numbers. now there all changed.

I spent one year only with lynskeys and that 1st year of plumbing I spent with lynskeys. 310 315 318 101 I was like a fcukin calculator in that stores

• Advertisement

Do I need to do anything to the vale to get it to work? I've te pressurised the system and I've no hot water and no air in any of the rads?

Maks sure the little black cap is open , also make sure that the balancing valve on coil ( if fitted) is open a turn from closed , if all this is correct , and all zone valves are open and cylinder ztat is set to 60 , try turning boiler on and shut all rads to get circulation through coil , leave for half an hour then open rads back up ,

sullzz wrote: »
    Maks sure the little black cap is open , also make sure that the balancing valve on coil ( if fitted) is open a turn from closed , if all this is correct , and all zone valves are open and cylinder ztat is set to 60 , try turning boiler on and shut all rads to get circulation through coil , leave for half an hour then open rads back up ,

Should the black cap be loose? It tightened down tight

Yes it should be loose , id doubt that is your poblem though , id say you may need to shut all rads for a while to get circulation through the coil , , make sure the balancing valve is open a turn on the return at cylinder coil .

When the heating is on does the flow or return at the coil get hot

• Advertisement
Advertisement