Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance cost for 17yr male 1litre car

Options
  • 27-04-2013 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi ya , Ill be trying to get onto the roads soon and I was wondering roughly how much would insurance cost for me (17 year old male) with a 1litre Corsa or Polo? What would be the price for it under my name or as a named driver under my mother whos 40?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Do you have a full or a provisional license?

Either way, it would be cheaper to get insured as a named driver. You could get insured on your own named a year later, you'll then have 1 year named driver experience point.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Hey Yall

Provisional , I havnt got it yet , I want to know roughly how much itll cost

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Cost me around 3 grand in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Your best bet is to get out the phone book and ring around. None of us can really tell you.

My rough estimate would be 2k+ for your own policy and around 1.5k named.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

2800 in my own name at 18! That was on a 1.2 polo but there isn't much difference in the loading between a 1 L and 1.2 L.
    They're both slow ass ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This questions pops up almost weekly here. Nobody here can tell how much your insurance is going to cost you except an insurance company. There are too many factors specific to the individual for anyone here to know. Also people comming on here telling how much they paid has little or no bearing on what an insurance company will charge you as no two people are the same when it comes to insurance prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Hey Yall wrote: »
    Hi ya , Ill be trying to get onto the roads soon and I was wondering roughly how much would insurance cost for me (17 year old male) with a 1litre Corsa or Polo? What would be the price for it under my name or as a named driver under my mother whos 40?

How long is a piece of string?

Ring the different providers and find out. Too many variables

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

bazz26 wrote: »
    This questions pops up almost weekly here. Nobody here can tell how much your insurance is going to cost you except an insurance company. There are too many factors specific to the individual for anyone here to know. Also people comming on here telling how much they paid has little or no bearing on what an insurance company will charge you as no two people are the same when it comes to insurance prices.

As well as that, an insurance company can give you one price today and in a couple of months a totally different price with no great reason other than price reviews.
    So, if you do ring around and get prices and need to wait a while before you take out a policy, don't go straight to your last cheapest quote, ring them all again, you might get lucky and get cheaper again.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Hey Yall

Thanks Lads

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭harg90

Scortho wrote: »
    2800 in my own name at 18! That was on a 1.2 polo but there isn't much difference in the loading between a 1 L and 1.2 L.
    They're both slow ass ****.

haha got 104mph out of my 1L polo

took a few mile tho :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭SteveAdti

Ring First Ireland Insurance 01 8820800.
    Ask them for a quote under the drive first program.
    You will have to take 10 hours of lessons with an instructor approved to provide drive first. Ask them for some names
    Having done this i would expect a quote in your own name of about 1400 euro or less for third party fire and theft.
    Note this will be your own policy and you will be building up your no claims bonus straight away.
    Let us know how you get on:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

harg90 wrote: »
    haha got 104mph out of my 1L polo

took a few mile tho :L

Here's the reason the quote you're about to receive will be extortionate. So say thanks. There's always one. :rolleyes:

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Here's the reason the quote you're about to receive will be extortionate. So say thanks. There's always one. :rolleyes:

theres more than one,theres alot more than one :L

and may i add iv only had one tip with no other car involved, no damage to property, walls, fences, esb poles ect. no guards involved, iv never claimed off my insurance, not even for windscreen cover, iv always been on my own policy, hardly ever been stopped, or never recieved any points, in no way shape of form have i ever had any effect on anyones premium, never mind my own.

can you say the same?

can you honestly say you have never broken s
    the speed limit?

or claimed off your insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

harg90 wrote: »
    theres more than one,theres alot more than one :L

and may i add iv only had one tip with no other car involved, no damage to property, walls, fences, esb poles ect. no guards involved, iv never claimed off my insurance, not even for windscreen cover, iv always been on my own policy, hardly ever been stopped, or never recieved any points, in no way shape of form have i ever had any effect on anyones premium, never mind my own.

can you say the same?

can you honestly say you have never broken s
    the speed limit?

or claimed off your insurance?

Yet after all that you still can' see my point. You're still a numpty driving around at 104MPH in your Polo.

Trust me sunshine it's only a matter of time hopefully the only damage done will be to yourself.

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Yet after all that you still can' see my point. You're still a numpty driving around at 104MPH in your Polo.

Trust me sunshine it's only a matter of time hopefully the only damage done will be to yourself.

jesus noo, that was about 3 yrs, once for a breif few seconds.

anyway, please answer my questions..

have you ever been involved in a crash?

have you claimed off your insurance?

have you penaltie points?

has anyone else had to claim off your insurance?

if you have aswered yes to any one of these, you sir have had more effect on this young mans high premium than i have, as all i have done is pay for insurance, never taking from it..

and can you honestly say you have neve broken the speedlimit?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Harg90, you have two infractions here in the last 2 weeks. Continue on the way you are, and you wont last long here.

The OP seems to have some answer, they can PM me if they want this re-opened. Otherwise, I'm closing this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement