Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Indo Prepper article

Options
  • 27-04-2013 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

The indo has a two page spread on Irish preppers in its Weekend Review magazine today (Sat 27/4/13). I'm one of the interviewees. I did my best to veer the journo as far away as possible from the extremists themes on doomsday preppers. I'm not saying I'm against such prepping, horses for courses and all that, it's just that such prepping isn't really applicable here IMO. Anyway, it's not a bad little article. Had to give up a bit of opsec though :cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Can anyone throw up a link, I can't see anything on their site?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Scoured their site myself and couldn't find anything, ended up buying a copy or three :D

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Pretty fair article, covers the very broad range of perspectives. Well done for participating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I always find it strange how "mainstream media" never mention boards.ie in their articles. From what I can find, boards seems to have more members than there are Irish people on twitter. Surely worthy of a mention when discussing Ireland's online prepper community?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

great article

anybody got a 'prepper 101' article

a sort of prepping for dummies?

id be quite interested

In the last two weeks or so I've also been contacted by TV3 and an independent production company regarding ideas for a prepping doc. I don't know whether to be nervous (read suspicious) or grateful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Danpad wrote: »
    In the last two weeks or so I've also been contacted by TV3 and an independent production company regarding ideas for a prepping doc. I don't know whether to be nervous (read suspicious) or grateful!

Are they paying and is this for you to be filmed or just to produce (or check) a prepping doc?

At this rate they'll have you stark naked in front of a TV camera on a deserted island in 6 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

If it was RTE then perhaps but its TV3. They are the cheap tabloid version of TV. No matter how sensible and rational you are they will edit your interview, splice in some footage of wierdos worshiping crop circles, the NRA & KKK and some "experts" warning of polarshifts and yellowstone exploding. Then to cap it off they will probably get someone like Sean Moncrieff to sarcastically do the voice over. They wont care about any reasonable fears such as an esb strike or ecoli in the water or a cyprus like bank shutdown. You'll be the light entertainment for a dull 9-10pm slot. Only do it if you dont mind having people sniggering and pointing at you at family gatherings for the next few years.

They've simply raised the idea, nothing at all concrete about it. Most things do not get past the commissioning dept. Having said that, if anything came of it, I've a bit more about me than to worry about what others think, sure, if they threw me a few quid they could think what they like, what do I care, I've a decent enough network of friends and family around me to dispel any nonsense.

• Advertisement

The indo has a two page spread on Irish preppers in its Weekend Review magazine today (Sat 27/4/13). I'm one of the interviewees. I did my best to veer the journo as far away as possible from the extremists themes on doomsday preppers. I'm not saying I'm against such prepping, horses for courses and all that, it's just that such prepping isn't really applicable here IMO. Anyway, it's not a bad little article. Had to give up a bit of opsec though :cool:

It reads as a balanced and reasonably fair article, the interviewee's come across as very rational. I like that there was some context put into their reasons for prepping (actual water shortage, etc.).

Druss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

Very interesting article, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

The world doesn't have to end for there to be a food crisis, or indeed a water shortage or powercut which a survivalist could weather due to the precautions they'd taken - it's just a matter of common sense.

If you don't want to take some common sense precautions, just say YOLO to yourself three times and cross the street without looking. :-D

Advertisement