Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would happen to my JA claim if were to cohabit?

Options
  • 27-04-2013 4:03am

I'm in a situation now where I'm thinking of moving in with my partner of a year. The problem is that I'm now unemployed and claiming jobseeker's allowance while she works full time and earns just under 400e a week.

I'm wondering if this means my allowance will be stopped completely, or only reduced? Maybe it's me but I find it almost impossible to glean any concrete info from the official websites. So If anyone is in a similar situation I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

look through this... http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/work_and_jobseekers_allowance.html

Spouse’s, civil partner’s or cohabitant's income from work

Your spouse's, civil partner's or cohabitant's income from employment is assessed in the means test for Jobseeker’s Allowance.

Their income from work is assessed in the same way as your income from work (if any). To work out what your spouse's, civil partner's or cohabitant's means from work is:

Deduct €20 per day from your spouse's, civil partner's or cohabitant's assessable earnings for each day worked up to a maximum of €60 (including Sunday)
    Next get 60% of the balance. This is assessed as his or her weekly means from work.

Assessable weekly earnings - €20 per day (maximum €60 for 3 days work) = total x 60% = weekly means from work.

This figure is halved if your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant is also:

Getting a social welfare payment (except Child Benefit, Disablement Pension, guardian's payment, Supplementary Welfare Allowance, Domiciliary Care Allowance and half-rate Carer's Allowance)
    On a FÁS course or on a VTOS course and getting an allowance in his or her own right

Note: If means are halved, an increase for a qualified adult is not payable but you can get a half-rate increase for each qualified child.

Advertisement