Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can you buy chemicals?

Options
  • 26-04-2013 10:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. As the title says, where could a person buy chemicals? I've just been reading an article about people whitening their teeth at home using hydrogen peroxide. WTF like? You can't just walk into Supervalu and buy a frozen pizza and 5 litres of hydrogen peroxide? Where do people get this stuff? Are there any restrictions on what you can buy, eg do you need some sort of license for explosive chemicals? I know you need a ton of hazchem certs even just to drive a petrol tanker, you would imagine stuff that peels away layers of bone would be fairly hard to get!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You can get hydrogen peroxide in tesco. Its only a 3% solution so unless you distill it,your layers of bone are fairly safe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Ok then, say you wanted to buy some ammonia, or a kilo of sulphur. Where do people buy things like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Are you trying to make a bomb?

Eh, no. Just curious to know where people get mad stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

What a suspicious recipe list OP...

• Advertisement

Ha! Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Dynamo Roller

Be very bloody careful with high concentrations of hydrogen peroxide the vapours can kill you in minutes :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Well normally you would buy it from the likes of Sigma Aldrich but you would have to have an account with them, I imagine you would have to be a legitimate business or laboratory and actually have a reason for it. I've ordered stuff from them in college but that was obviously on their account, some of the stuff has to come by special courier too as quite a lot of chemicals cannot go via air.

yer man! wrote: »
    Well normally you would buy it from the likes of Sigma Aldrich but you would have to have an account with them, I imagine you would have to be a legitimate business or laboratory and actually have a reason for it. I've ordered stuff from them in college but that was obviously on their account, some of the stuff has to come by special courier too as quite a lot of chemicals cannot go via air.

Cheers Yer man. But you said there that you'd have to have an account with the supplier, that's what I'm getting at. That is a control measure, something to monitor who buys what. But by reading articles in magazines lately, you'd think you can just walk into a hardware and get whatever you want! Hydrogen peroxide to whiten teeth, citric acid and various salts to spice up "celebrity chef" food dishes, mad concoctions to make home-made weedkiller, it all just seems so casual! And yet you need certs to deliver petrol, something you drive around with in your car anyway! Makes you wonder where people get all this stuff so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

newmug wrote: »
    Cheers Yer man. But you said there that you'd have to have an account with the supplier, that's what I'm getting at. That is a control measure, something to monitor who buys what. But by reading articles in magazines lately, you'd think you can just walk into a hardware and get whatever you want! Hydrogen peroxide to whiten teeth, citric acid and various salts to spice up "celebrity chef" food dishes, mad concoctions to make home-made weedkiller, it all just seems so casual! And yet you need certs to deliver petrol, something you drive around with in your car anyway! Makes you wonder where people get all this stuff so easily.

Well if you work somewhere that uses the chemicals it's not that difficult to make them "disappear" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Is that you Walter White

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=259765187
    There is HO from tesco..

I think you are not considering that that a massive ammount of chemicals are indeed available under product or brand names. Also, you can make or liberate a lot of stuff easily and diyily.

Finally, Ebay and amazon.. there is a ton of chemical available. Are you inferring that its too easy or too hard to get chemicals?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

I thought Hydrogen Peroxide was in bleach? Can buy that anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Pocaide wrote: »
    Is that you Walter White

Exactly what I was thinking, Hank.

I bought ammonia from a legitimate Lab Supplies outfit for a legitimate reason. So not only is it possible to do, it's not even that difficult.

mawk wrote: »
    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=259765187
    There is HO from tesco..

I think you are not considering that that a massive ammount of chemicals are indeed available under product or brand names. Also, you can make or liberate a lot of stuff easily and diyily.

Finally, Ebay and amazon.. there is a ton of chemical available. Are you inferring that its too easy or too hard to get chemicals?

I'm inferring that in MY experience, it seems very difficult to get chemicals, but going by what you read in the media, including this thread, it would seem that my experience is the exception.

Consider this - at the moment, i'm looking for stuff to brighten up aluminium. The motor factors and the nearest bike shop both say they have nothing suitable, ie no brand name aluminium cleaning products. My gut instinct tells me not to put anything acidic on it or it will dull the finish. So what chemical should I use, and where would I get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I would try peek. Should be available in any hardware outfit

• Registered Users Posts: 1 David37

Hello every one, i have couple questions i need to know before i get the green light go ahead

I'm having much of hard time to get some chemicals in Ireland.... since i been living in USA past couple years working over there. but as my days of, i have a hobby i enjoy and make some extra cash, recycling electronics computers for gold.... isn't much but i enjoy it doing so, main question is were can i buy Chemicals in Ireland like Muriatic acid , Nitricacid, urea, so etc there the key items i need, but i'm open to other ideas how to collect the gold rather from chemicals, any ideas most appreciate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

David37 wrote: »
    main question is were can i buy Chemicals in Ireland like Muriatic acid , Nitricacid, urea, so etc there the key items i need, but i'm open to other ideas how to collect the gold rather from chemicals, any ideas most appreciate

If you do a Google search Chemical Suppliers Dublin.......Google Maps will show you where the suppliers are.

The ones near the M50, (most of them) have warehouses where they have chemicals in stock. You can call around to get prices.

Advertisement