Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting to fly tie?

Options
  • 26-04-2013 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

#Silly title# should be Starting to tie fly's:D

Anyone on here any advice for me? as what vice would be best to start off with? any sets ye could reccomand? what fly's would be best for me to start tyeing? any advice great or small is welcome thanks:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Salmonman

Calgary22 wrote: »

Anyone on here any advice for me? as what vice would be best to start off with? any sets ye could reccomand? what fly's would be best for me to start tyeing? any advice great or small is welcome thanks:D
    Buy a fly tying set for beginners,has all u need to learn the basics.If u bought trout and salmon magazine or fly fishing and fly tying magazine you will find plenty of kits for sale.Also look for Flies of ireland by Peter o Reily,very good book with loads pictures on how to tie flies.Start off with simple flies like Black pennell.Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

Check out davie mcphails flies for beginners on youtube.He is the best I have seen on the net and you will learn loads from him.Peter o reillys flies of Ireland is more of a recipe book ie.it will show you what materials you need for specific flies, but it won't teach you any techniques.I suggest you learn to tie a bit before you buy it.It is a must have though, if you stick with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 roachbhoy

One of the best flytying vices I've used are the ones with the spring loaded jaws, they are not too expensive you should pick one up for around €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

As for materials I find it hard to beat pat nolan in nenagh great selection of everything u will need and if you decide to upgrade the vise he has great ranges .

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

madred006 wrote: »
    As for materials I find it hard to beat pat nolan in nenagh great selection of everything u will need and if you decide to upgrade the vise he has great ranges .

Agreed, pat has excellent stuff and won't send you rubbish as some do. As for vices a simple one that rotates will be sufficient for starting off. Remember good quality materials will help make good Flies. I have never seen a fish take a vice in 40 years of angling.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,235 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I did it 20 years ago for about 3 years, my one bit of advice is not to get the cheapest vice you can find. Invest in a half decent one that can get a good grip of the hooks. Some let the hook slip and it will break your heart!
    The best bit about fly tying is, not only can you tie exactly what you want, you know the hooks are good quality. It's good crack, but it takes lots of practice, dont expect to be tying deadly stuff straight away (i know that's obvious!).

Another good investment is a high quality scissors. A fine tip to get in very close to cut exactly what you want. Mine was serrated which i found really handy because any thicker bits of feather would cut easily and the blade wouldn't "push" it. I had something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭vermin99

Calgary22 wrote: »

I know this post is 4 months old butthe magazine Irish angler has fairly good guides to tying useful flies each month?

Advertisement