Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socket in bathroom.

Options
  • 26-04-2013 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭

I am currently getting bathrooms redone at home, and I always wanted a washlet in the main bathroom. Something like this Toto B100, that fits on top of the existing loo, with it's own water tank etc. However, these toto and similar washlets require power. And I gather that Irish safety regulations does not allow 240v electrical socket inside the bathroom.

Has anyone here installed something like this, and if so how did you get around this regulation? Run a loooong cable thru the wall to another room? Or perhaps a 110v socket is allowed, is it?

Thanks in advance for thoughts and comments!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There are many electrical devices that can be installed in a bathroom without using a socket. This would include electric showers, bathroom heaters etc.

I would suggest supply this unit from a spur outlet or DP switch (depending on the size of the load). The spur can be installed at high level away from water or anywhere that it could get splashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Your link shows prices in dollars, and the "specs" say it is 120 volts. Is this available in 240v, for the european market. or have you some other way around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭positron

No, I wasn't planning on buying it from the US, still looking to decide which is the right one to get etc too. Toto's UK version of that is this:

http://gb.toto.com/service/downloads/downloads/c/Product/a/libraryDetails/product/WASHLET_EK/

There are few different makes in amazon.co.uk, but I read over and again that Toto really makes the most reliable, albeit pricey, washlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭positron

Okay, with the regulation issue and timing of the work done etc, I think I will settle for the much cheaper non-electrical washlet thingees - like this one for example: Luxe Neo 320. All it needs is hot and cold water feeds into it, which I am hoping the plumber will be able to sort out in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

I didn't want to start another similar thread so I hope the OP doesn't mind me posting here seeing as they seem to have gotten their answer.

I plan to convert what was a small bedroom into a family bathroom. This room has a double socket and 2 Cat 5e network points behind where the proposed boxed in toilet cistern is in my crude sketchup model.

In the toilet privacy wall at the end of the bath I was planning to fabricate a sealed 24 inch LED monitor with a Raspberry Pi device running XBMC media player attached. (Both low power cool running devices.) Unlike the sketchup model where the monitor appears to be surface mounted to the wall at the end of the bath, it would be inset in the wall behind a sealed glass panel with mirror film. (ie Looks/acts like a mirror when Monitor is switched off.)

I'd be replacing the hanging pendant light with a ceiling mounted globe cover and a Philips Hue LED lightbulb inside. Light switch resets a Philips Hue to default warm white light but these bulbs can be controlled over a home network. When listening to music in the bath via XBMC on the raspberry Pi, the monitor displays Fanart, visualisations etc while an XBMC app syncs the Philips Hue bulb with the music (Of course one can also watch the 1000+ films on the server of several thousand TV show episodes on the server)

Anyway, Seeing as there are such things as outdoor sockets and seeing as the socket/network cable wont be accesible for some idiot to plug a hair dryer into etc and one could even seal the sockets and cables between the wall and devices as well as them being sealed inside the bath wall/cistern area, does this present any regulatory problems?

251228.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Calibos wrote: »
    Anyway, Seeing as there are such things as outdoor sockets and seeing as the socket/network cable wont be accesible for some idiot to plug a hair dryer into etc and one could even seal the sockets and cables between the wall and devices as well as them being sealed inside the bath wall/cistern area, does this present any regulatory problems?

Technically speaking you should not have a mains voltage socket in a bathroom end of story. That does not mean that you can not supply devices at 230VAC. If I needed to power a permanently connected mains voltage device in a bathroom I would use a suitably located spur outlet.

I would also use a monitor that is designed to be installed in a bathroom (yes there is such a thing). I installed a Tile Vision unit for a friend years ago and it is still going strong. One of the problems with your suggestion is that the glass may steam up. Tile Vision has a heated glass to prevent this.

Advertisement