Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork/Mallow Bus Transfers - 3rd to 12th May

Options
  • 26-04-2013 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_news.jsp?i=4806&p=116&n=237
    Bus Transfers between Cork & Mallow from 4th - 12th May 2013
    To facilitate necessary maintenance and improvement works to Monard Viaduct, the line between Cork and Mallow will be closed from the evening of Friday 3rd May to Sunday 12th May inclusive, with bus transfers operating.

Full service arrangements are now available from our journey planner above. Customers should note:

- Bus transfers for Kerry and Dublin services departing Cork will leave 25 minutes earlier than the scheduled train departure time to ensure a timely connection with services departing Mallow to Dublin and Kerry. Mallow to Dublin and Kerry services will operate to a normal schedule.

- For the duration of the works car parking will be free at Mallow.

- Normal Commuter services will operate between Cobh/Midleton and Cork during this time.

- Full services will resume on Monday 13th May.

Works on the structure will include the addition of reinforced concrete slab on existing masonry slab on the bridge. It will also facilitate the removal of a speed restriction over the bridge.

Works have been scheduled at this time to ensure they are completed ahead of the busy summer tourist period.

Iarnród Éireann apologises for the inconvenience these arrangements cause for our customers.

This'll be fun :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I was looking at the area around Monard in Street View and the google overhead seems to show some sidings there - what was the purpose of those? Is there a quarry nearby for ballast?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dowlingm wrote: »
    I was looking at the area around Monard in Street View and the google overhead seems to show some sidings there - what was the purpose of those? Is there a quarry nearby for ballast?

They're historical - I think they are now actually disconnected. They were at one stage used for old rolling stock. I imagine they were original for cattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i get the idea that they were for marshalling trains. Wagons would be trippedup the steep incline from Cork and re-marshalled there into trains before heading north. Latterly used to hold condemned stock i think

Also the site of the demise of much of the GSRPS stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

might add to the chaos by turning up with my camera....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The actual time table is now on display in the station. Seems to be a +10m difference in time, at least for early trains.

so, they'll drive past the City Centre to the train station and take 10 extra minutes doing it.... yes that makes sense I think....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

i know that Fred and you know that, but what of the guy who sees Patrick St and it's where he wants to be and wants to get off? Hard to explain to him that he'll have to stay on the bus another 5 minutes and then walk back the way he just came for another ten minutes....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tomtom66

hey guys im on the train to cork at the moment .. but im getting off mallow to go to tralee.. does this also affect my journey to tralee because of the construction or am i ok to travel on mallow to tralee train...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

tomtom66 wrote: »
    hey guys im on the train to cork at the moment .. but im getting off mallow to go to tralee.. does this also affect my journey to tralee because of the construction or am i ok to travel on mallow to tralee train...

You're ok, it's just the Mallow to Cork passengers that travel by bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tomtom66

that grand i knew the two lines are seperate and i know the bridge is nearer to cork then mallow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Good news - IE and/or their contractors finished the works ahead of schedule - the last two trains from Dublin and the last one from Tralee will run into Cork instead of requiring a transfer.
    https://twitter.com/IrishRail/status/333631292933537793

Advertisement