Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downstairs toilets slow to fill after flush

Options
  • 26-04-2013 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

I have two toilets one upstairs and one down stairs. The downstairs one is rarely used as there is too much stuff in the little room its in.

But cleaning the room I cleaned the toilet. There was little water in it and was below the line. I filled it with a two litre bottle and flushed.

Took ages to fill and makes a funny noise on flushing - a bit like a ships horn- no joke

Any help would be appreciated. I took off the lid but nt sure what to look for

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

LoveCoke wrote: »
    I have two toilets one upstairs and one down stairs. The downstairs one is rarely used as there is too much stuff in the little room its in.

But cleaning the room I cleaned the toilet. There was little water in it and was below the line. I filled it with a two litre bottle and flushed.

Took ages to fill and makes a funny noise on flushing - a bit like a ships horn- no joke

Any help would be appreciated. I took off the lid but nt sure what to look for

Sounds like the ball valve is blocked.Take lid off and post a pic and someone will be able to tell you how to unblock it.It will need a pic as there are numerous types and all come apart differently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Salgud

There is a tiny hole where the water enters the toilet its inside the ball clock.you have to take it apart.the hole is the size of a needle.it gets blocked if water can't get through that we'll or if its old you may have to replace ballcock

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

Salgud wrote: »
    There is a tiny hole where the water enters the toilet its inside the ball clock.you have to take it apart.the hole is the size of a needle.it gets blocked if water can't get through that we'll or if its old you may have to replace ballcock
    ok thanks both will post pic.

EDIT here is pic. Noticed it does not empty properly either. How do i empty it completely and stop it filling to have a closer look?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The problem is one of two items.
    1. The opening that the water pases through inside the valve is blocked.
    Or,
    2. The rubber diaphragm that stops the flow of water has hardened and is stopping the flow of water.

You need to turn off the supply of water to the cistern to do any work on the valve to prevent flooding.
    First go to your nearest Plumbing supplies shop and ask for a new diaphragm for the valve and show them the picture.
    Turn off the water, flush the toilet and take the valve apart at the large nut where the arm connects, do not lose the pin that goes through the plate, then undo the next nut on the valve remembering or take pics of which way everything goes together.
    You can now clean the nozzle cone shapped piece and replace the diaphragm and put it all back together again and you should be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

K.Flyer wrote: »
    The problem is one of two items.
    1. The opening that the water pases through inside the valve is blocked.
    Or,
    2. The rubber diaphragm that stops the flow of water has hardened and is stopping the flow of water.

You need to turn off the supply of water to the cistern to do any work on the valve to prevent flooding.

First go to your nearest Plumbing supplies shop and ask for a new diaphragm for the valve and show them the picture.
    Turn off the water, flush the toilet and take the valve apart at the large nut where the arm connects, do not lose the pin that goes through the plate, then undo the next nut on the valve remembering or take pics of which way everything goes together.
    You can now clean the nozzle cone shapped piece and replace the diaphragm and put it all back together again and you should be sorted.
    is that where it comes into house under sink?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

+1 on the diaphram washer
    Valve to turn it off will be in the hotpress

Advertisement