Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dietary Supplement Allowance

Options
  • 26-04-2013 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone might have any advice or experience regarding the The Diet Supplement.

I have a relation who is a Type 2 Diabetic. They were diagnosed approx. 6 years ago. They were recently talking to a friend who is also a diabetic who told them that should be entitled to The Diet Supplement.

However after checking this up, I see that there are just 4 prescribed diets which qualify according to the scheme;

Low-lactose, milk-free diet
    Gluten-free diet
    High-protein, high-calorie diet
    Altered consistencies (liquidised) diet

Is there any assistance available for Diabetics who incur additional expenses with regards to sugar-free foods and products?

Also, an acquaintance of mine who is on Disability Allowance is morbidly obese. Despite my assistance in trying to get them on a low calorie diet and to increase exercise levels, due to their disability they have been unsuccessful in losing weight in a traditional manner. They have previously tried Weight Watchers etc.. with little success.

They are now seriously considering taking drastic measures by means of a liquid only diet such as Lipotrim as supervised by a pharmacy as a result of the day to day difficulties they encounter due to their size and mobility problems.

From researching the dietary supplement for my diabetic family member, I note that "Altered consistencies (liquidised) diet" are included as part of this scheme.

Would a liquid diet such as Lipotrim be included in this?

Or is there any other prescribed liquidised diets that can be prescribed by GPs or hospitals to aid the assistance of weight loss for morbidly obese patients?

Unfortunately I'm finding it very difficult in finding out much info online regarding the Dietary Supplement and I'd like to have some more info before sending these people on a wild goose chase with social welfare as they're not in the best of health and I do not want to cause any unnecessary burden on them chasing up something that's a non-runner from the start.

Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest Regards,

Comments

Advertisement