Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

returning home and in need of help

Options
  • 26-04-2013 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hello there, i am returning to cork with my wife and daughter after 7 years in the states because i think ireland is a safer place to raise a kid. i lost my job here and we will need rent allowance when we get back to cork. Is there any circumstance that can help avoid the 6 month waiting period to get it as we will only have very limited funds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 happytina

iv lived here all my life. never had to look to social welfare for anything. i worked my ex worked , we supported ourselves and family. few yrs ago we separated, i developed health problems and found myself struggling financially, did the state help.. did they f**k, so im sorry but if they cant help people that lived here paid tax prsi and in 25 yrs never took a penny from this government... what can i say.... angry is understatement

• Registered Users Posts: 2 islandman

its all sour news i'm hearing. bit too late to turn back now though. i worked in ireland from the age of 10 {in a garden centre} after school, odd jobs, warehouses, fishing industry and spent some time abroad in europe working as well. spent 6 months on the dole when i was 26 or 27 and thats it and i keep getting told now that my government wont lift a finger to help me and my family. and we are supposed to be proud of our country? a nation of friendly helpful people? i'm feeling a bit sick about the whole thing at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

islandman wrote: »
    hello there, i am returning to cork with my wife and daughter after 7 years in the states because i think ireland is a safer place to raise a kid. i lost my job here and we will need rent allowance when we get back to cork. Is there any circumstance that can help avoid the 6 month waiting period to get it as we will only have very limited funds.
    If by the 6 month waiting period you mean having being living in private rented accomodation for the previous 6 months, yes you can avoid it by being assessed by a local authority as being eligible for and in need of social housing. You must go to the local authority to have your housing need assessed. The local authority must be in the area that you intend to live and claim Rent Supplement. Only when you are assessed as eligible for and in need of housing can you apply for Rent Supplement.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

Obviously you'd have to satisfy the habitual residency condition, but once you have closed all US bank accounts, sold any property etc you should be able to do that. You will not be the first person to have run into problems & had to return. Can you stay temporarily with family or friends in the meantime?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭gifted

So not only will you need rent allowance but I take it that you and your wife will need dole money as well plus childrens allowance plus whatever else is going free...do us a favour bud...either have work lined up so you can pay your way or else don't bother coming here..the working people are carrying enough already :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

gifted wrote: »
    So not only will you need rent allowance but I take it that you and your wife will need dole money as well plus childrens allowance plus whatever else is going free...do us a favour bud...either have work lined up so you can pay your way or else don't bother coming here..the working people are carrying enough already :mad:

yea but gifted
    I think that the op should be entitled to something as he has previously paid taxes in Ireland

it's a totally ****ed up system
    if a girl gets pregnant at 18 has never paid taxes
    She gets all sorts of benefits so why would she even consider trying to get a job .

In Ireland it seems that THE LESS YOU CONTIBUTE THE MORE YOU GET

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭gifted

how much taxes has he paid...odd jobs, fishing industry, already on the dole for six months and then went to europe...reckon his entitlements are well used up...I've working over 20 years, was laid off 2 years ago, got €188 on the dole despite having 2 kids at the time, was told that herself was over the thresehold and we weren't married so tough luck. Went to the doctor while on the dole and charged €50, went next door to the chemist and paid €120 for tablets...while in the chemist 2 non nationals came in and handed over medical cards..same people were in the doctors surgery with me...went home with €18 for herself...system is crazy..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

I sure there is a forum charter around here somewhere posters need to read same.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement