Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sprinting technique to the finish line

Options
  • 25-04-2013 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I have just started cycling road races this year, and something I am trying to understand is the best technique used to sprint that final distance to the finish line.

As we are on that last sprint we are all off the saddle pushing it as hard as we can, and last night I found that I was keeping most of my body still, but I was throwing the bike side to side as I pushed it home to win the race.

It seemed to work for me but I keep thinking that I would be losing power/speed doing that.

So my question is whether or not we lose speed and/or power by that motion of throwing the bike side to side as you are powering for the finish line, any advice would be great, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Don't get out of the saddle. Just pedal like f##k?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Sprint whatever way you like that lets you go balls-to-the-wall. Just don't endanger anyone else while you do it and keep your line.

Oh, head up too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

All the big pro sprinters like Cav, Greipel, Kittel all get out of the saddle. However, they only go a small distance from the saddle, and rather than getting up out of it like a climber would, they shift way forward and keep the head way down. And yeah, even the most (and least) efficient sprinters throw their bike from side to side. As long it isn't potentially dangerous amounts of movement, I wouldn't worry, if it's not very much movement it won't cost you very much.

Watch carefully. It's bad quality but you can see the body shape. Make sure you're in the big gears before going into this position.

But do whatever works for you I guess, if you aren't flexible enough to get super aero like Cav, it's a big commitment to train yourself into that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

You really want to keep your body AND your bike in a straight line, pump yours legs down and put all your energy into the cranks. Throwing the bike around is wasting energy and thus wasting speed.

Watch these lads for the spring finish, watch from about 4.45 onwards. The bike will wobble a bit they they keep a very straight line and their body doesn't sway.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

I had to think about this and to be honest in my time racing i never actually thought about that. From my experience when you're in a position were you're sprinting at the end of a race there are only two potential things going through the mind.

1. Line Line Line Line
    or
    2. I don't like the look of this...

So basically i would suggest you just look at the line, keep it straight and go hammer and thongs. To adopt a certain position or way of controlling your bike in a sprint is something which is very hard to train yourself to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Any excuse to show this.
    From the best sprinter ,imo, ever..
    How NOT to sprint from 1 min in.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

He said he won, so nothing wrong with technique

Advertisement