Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

discoverypark tree-top-walk

Options
  • 25-04-2013 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Did anyone ever go on this? is it good craic? was thinking of bringing the nieces. the are are 10...would they enjoy it or would the heights be too daunting?

http://www.discoverypark.ie/tree-top-walk/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Firstly didn't know it existed, secondly how did Tesco get involved?
    Thirdly who kept such an amazing addition so quiet, I knew of the Discovery Park, but perhaps if one doesn't buy the People or get the free paper, is there an APPS for all these things?
    Thanks for bring this up even if Tesco are in it, is there anything else we have that the county is too shy to mention.
    Why are there not signs on the motorways come and enjoy the Kilkenny experience, there is more to us than a Castle, there could be a lot more it seems.
    Don't let this one die.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm far from being a kid and the wife brought me to it last year for my birthday, did the tree top thing, climbing to top of the pole and climbing wall. Seriously great fun.

The day we went there was a good mix of all ages from kids, teenagers and adults including a number of groups of 9-11 year olds. Majority of the kids did the tree top thing no problem but one or two kids chickened out at first. In most cases I saw the person who chickened out finally went ahead and did it anyway and really enjoyed it.

Given i actually saw more adults have an issue with the heights (incl my wife) I'd say the kids will be fine for the most part :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think the Tesco thing has run it's course.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

It's the Dunnes Stores of 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

did it recently with my 17yr old lad, did the climbing wall and the "leap of faith" really enjoyed it and so did he....the walk isn't particularly challenging for older kids/adults but had fun regarldess. The wall and the leap were the highlights for me.

Good value too. €20 ea and it took over an hour. Had two of the guys with us more or less full time....there was no one else there when we did it so hard to see how they make money...hope it lasts as it is well run and hats off to however set it up for having the balls to try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm far from being a kid and the wife brought me to it last year for my birthday, did the tree top thing, climbing to top of the pole and climbing wall. Seriously great fun.

The day we went there was a good mix of all ages from kids, teenagers and adults including a number of groups of 9-11 year olds. Majority of the kids did the tree top thing no problem but one or two kids chickened out at first. In most cases I saw the person who chickened out finally went ahead and did it anyway and really enjoyed it.
    Rantan wrote: »
    did it recently with my 17yr old lad, did the climbing wall and the "leap of faith" really enjoyed it and so did he....the walk isn't particularly challenging for older kids/adults but had fun regarldess. The wall and the leap were the highlights for me.

Good value too. €20 ea and it took over an hour. Had two of the guys with us more or less full time....there was no one else there when we did it so hard to see how they make money...hope it lasts as it is well run and hats off to however set it up for having the balls to try it.

Thanks Lads do you have to ring well in advance to book there and is the grub decent out in the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Who is responsible for the advertising of attractions like Discovery Park?
    Okay we do not go up the comer road very often, equally we don't go to Thomastown or Inistoige or Graignemanagh, but where is the advertising on the main roads for tourists who come or are passing in cars/camper vans etc.
    Are there any caravan parks near these attractions? If not why not, do we not have so much to offer, or is Kilkenny akin to a freemason's lodge, a secret city or a city with secrets, we don't seem to be very good at selling ourselves.
    How many of the coach tours get to Castlecomer, any offer's, what about Inistoige and the marvellous gardens, no, Jerpoint Abbey, no Graignemanagh then, no
    I am sorry I can't help this but one presumes the tourist get told that Kilkenny is the only city in the whole of Ireland that doesn't have, sorry I have got to chicken out, Captain Havoc will be watching.
    Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Thanks Lads do you have to ring well in advance to book there and is the grub decent out in the place?

Fine spot alright really good fun for all and the food is fine also. I think if you are going during the week you need to ring but if you are going at the weekend there are people around all day

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Are there any caravan parks near these attractions? If not why not,

Kilkenny has two camping/caravan parks. I'm doubtful if it could support a third.

This is actually pretty good and even higher then many county's in Ireland which have only one or none.

Laois and Offaly have zero parks, far more parks are situated at coastal area's then anywhere else so Kilkenny is doing pretty good in this regard.

Irish people are not actually big into their camping and caravan compared to our European cousins and these parks cost money to operate insurance, facilities etc. At the end of the day they must be sustainable to operate the same as any business.
    How many of the coach tours get to Castlecomer, any offer's, what about Inistoige and the marvellous gardens, no, Jerpoint Abbey, no Graignemanagh then, no

I've seen bus tours in Jerpoint, infact doesn't it have a visitor centre.

Castlecomer discovery park is actually doing pretty good and its gone from strength to strength over the last few years. Anytime I've listed the carpark they have has been packed to the last.

Might be no harm if you actually gained abit of knowledge about these places before you go complaining about them and asking a load of questions....saves everyone alot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

we booked a few days in advancerbut it was very quiet at the time anyway...hopefully its a bit busier now so I would advise pre booking...the coffee shop has a good rep for food, I have only had coffee and soup there but its a nice place..i would have no prob taking a chance on the grub there, i remember thinking that their salads looked really nice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

The weather in Ireland is too hostile to sustain a camping industry comparable to anything on mainland Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SUPing

Plenty of Activities in the County Spread out all over the Place from

Stand Up Paddle Boarding In the City Center to Kayaking in Graiguenamanagh, Reptile Village in Gowran, Quads and Bike trails

Couple of Links on the KK Tourism site: http://www.kilkennytourism.ie/adventure_activities

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

The place does be quite busy, I've never stepped foot in the place purely from knowing what goes on there with the local kids or at least used to. Generally on a sunny day the tree top thing does pretty good business but for me the price is a bit much but I suppose they have to make up for the slow days

Advertisement