Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Speeds in rural area?? (Dunore East)

Options
  • 25-04-2013 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, I live in Dunmore East where i can only get around 2Mbps. i download a few games from steam and these can take hours if not days. does anyone have an idea as to increase download speeds. Satellite is not an option because of the tiny download limits and bad latency. Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 wolf321

I live in Dunmore and I get about 6.5 mb/s with Vodafone home broadband not that mobile crap. Unless your house has very old wiring there is no reason why you shouldn't get that speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

wolf321 wrote: »
    I live in Dunmore and I get about 6.5 mb/s with Vodafone home broadband not that mobile crap. Unless your house has very old wiring there is no reason why you shouldn't get that speed.

Unless you live further away from exchange. Due to the fact distance with dsl over Copper cabling effects your connection. So the further you are from exchange the lower the speed you will achieve. I live 5km from my exchange and so am on an Amber line which means the max I can achieve is 1mb. Whereas somebody living beside my exchange can achieve 8mb and more when upgraded.hence why I choose fixed wireless. Still only 3mb but too me means much quicker downloads/streaming and excellent ping times for gaming compared to my old dsl line which I had with eircom/utv and Vodafone over the years

Advertisement