Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick UNIX question

Options
  • 25-04-2013 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I'd like to introduce myself to UNIX. Can anyone recommend a version? I'd only be a casual user of Windows as it is so I'm no tech wiz.

But I think it would be cool to learn more about how OS's and computers in general work, outside of a window GUI. I should be starting a degree in electrical & electronic engineering in September so that's another angle.

Couldn't tell you what I hope to achieve, apart from more independence and autonomy when I turn on the computer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

Ubuntu was my first Linux/Unix OS that I ever used... try it out for free http://www.ubuntu.com

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DeccyJ

Thanks, but I've tried Ubuntu already and it very much seems like the linux version of windows. It does everything for you which is exactly the opposite of what I want!

I'm thinking more along the lines of telling your computer what to do via command prompts and the like, and maybe even eventually at least understand what people mean when they talk about the "power" of Linux/UNIX.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Ubuntu CLI is very powerful. you can run the OS without a GUI if you wish.

If you want to get used to the command line you should set yourself a few tasks.

Download, compile and install some source code maybe.

There's alot of info on the various different linux distributions on Distrowatch.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

You could try CentOS, it is a free version of Red hat which is a popular choice for Enterprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If you've already installed Ubuntu before, go with that. Do your normal install (or if you still have it installed, just boot into it) and when the computer comes up to the usual login prompt and is sitting there looking like "linux for windows" ( aside: I lost my coffee reading that one :pac: ), just hit Ctrl-Alt-F1.

There you go, 1970s unix with one keypress, no fancy doo-dads needed.

(ctrl-alt-F7 to get back to "linux for windows" btw)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 DeccyJ

That's super, guys. I'll have a look at a couple of those. I do like the online support and forums dedicated to Ubuntu so I might try that in a retro 70's flavour if you don't mind.

Red Hat might be one I have another look at later. I know it's popular with a lot of companies so I might come back to it if I want to go down that road.

Thanks again!

Advertisement