Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I get a bigger grant because of this?

Options
  • 25-04-2013 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I am an IT Sligo student starting third year this september. In first year I got 50% of the student contribution of Sligo VEC. In second year my parents wages had come down a bit so I got 100% student contribution.
    This year my parents wages for 2012 are similar to 2011, however I have two sisters starting college this september (if they get their courses).
    I am currently the only child in college, however if in september, all three of the children are enrolled in a full time course, will that cause my grand to go up, i.e. Will I get a maintenance rate this time. If so do ye have any idea how much based on last year.
    Thanks
    Thomas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

www.studentfinance.ie has all the information about income limits and, as far as I know, having more children as full-time students lowers the limit, and could increase your grant. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Thanks Cliona :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The thing is that budget 2013 introduced lower income limits for grants from 2013/2014 onwards so you might in fact even possibly get a smaller grant.

Also the grant income limits change if you have 4 or more college going children.

However your parents can claim tax back on the fees.

If you and your sisters have to pay 50% student contribution then they can claim a tax rebate on this.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The thing is that budget 2013 introduced lower income limits for grants from 2013/2014 onwards so you might in fact even possibly get a smaller grant.

Also the grant income limits change if you have 4 or more college going children.

However your parents can claim tax back on the fees.

If you and your sisters have to pay 50% student contribution then they can claim a tax rebate on this.

My grant only seems to change if I ask for a review of my details and hand in the new P21's, etc. Other than that it stays as is.
    Thats why I was trying to find out all details before I go back to the VEC.
    I'd be hoping for a bigger grant this year though.
    Thanks,
    Thomas :)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Going by this so I think I would be eligible for a full maintenance grant.
    I think my parents combined income for last year was around the 48k mark. Judging by that wouldn't I take the Full maintenance rate of 41,110 plus the additional 9960 since there will be three of us in college. That makes 51070, with the 3% reduction that becomes 49537.90 threshold limit for a full maintenance grant.
    Am I correct in saying that?
    Also, how do the VEC determine the distance for the adjacent/non-adjacent rate. I am 47km from my college (shortest route, 46.7km according to google maps). My sisters want to go to dublin so they'll definitely be on non-adjacent rates anyways.
    Thanks,
    Thomas

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Going by this so I think I would be eligible for a full maintenance grant.
    I think my parents combined income for last year was around the 48k mark. Judging by that wouldn't I take the Full maintenance rate of 41,110 plus the additional 9960 since there will be three of us in college. That makes 51070, with the 3% reduction that becomes 49537.90 threshold limit for a full maintenance grant.
    Am I correct in saying that?
    Also, how do the VEC determine the distance for the adjacent/non-adjacent rate. I am 47km from my college (shortest route, 46.7km according to google maps). My sisters want to go to dublin so they'll definitely be on non-adjacent rates anyways.
    Thanks,
    Thomas

Its hard to say for certain but I think it will work like this; (I might be wrong)

If your parents have 3 children then the income limits are

Full maintenance €39,876.70 Part maintenance (75%) €40,967.95 Part maintenance (50%) €43,378.40 Part maintenance (25%) €45,788.85

Partial fee grant 50% tuition fees and 100% student contribution
    €49,838.60, 50% student contribution only €54,242.40

Other family members in college
    The reckonable income limits may be increased as follows for each additional family member who is pursuing a full-time course of at least one year’s duration:

In full maintenance and partial fee grant categories by €4,830 where there are 2 such family members, €9,660 where there are 3 such family members and so on, by increments of €4,830

Therefore if your income is 48,000 you might meet the criteria of the

Part maintenance (50%) €43,378.40 plus 4,830 = 48,209

Of course the figures have not been released yet so what I'm saying there is just a guess

Terry Pratchet

Its hard to say for certain but I think it will work like this; (I might be wrong)

If your parents have 3 children then the income limits are

Full maintenance €39,876.70 Part maintenance (75%) €40,967.95 Part maintenance (50%) €43,378.40 Part maintenance (25%) €45,788.85

Partial fee grant 50% tuition fees and 100% student contribution
    €49,838.60, 50% student contribution only €54,242.40

The reckonable income limits may be increased as follows for each additional family member who is pursuing a full-time course of at least one year’s duration:

In full maintenance and partial fee grant categories by €4,830 where there are 2 such family members, €9,660 where there are 3 such family members and so on, by increments of €4,830

Therefore if your income is 48,000 you might meet the criteria of the

Part maintenance (50%) €43,378.40 plus 4,830 = 48,209

Of course the figures have not been released yet so what I'm saying there is just a guess

Top notch info there, thanks :)
    I'll definitely make the limit for full maintenance so because I am currently in college and my two sisters are starting in september :)
    That means 39876.70 + 9660 = 49536.70.
    As far as I know my parents income is a grand or two less than that :)
    Thanks again :D

Top notch info there, thanks :)
    I'll definitely make the limit for full maintenance so because I am currently in college and my two sisters are starting in september :)
    That means 39876.70 + 9660 = 49536.70.
    As far as I know my parents income is a grand or two less than that :)
    Thanks again :D

No; my reading of the 4980 and 9960 is different. It's 2 extra or 3 extra not 3 in total

That was why I added on the 4,830 only

Read it carefully below - my reading is if there are 2 OTHER family members then the limit goes up by 4980.

In full maintenance and partial fee grant categories by €4,980 where there are 2 such family members, €9,960 where there are 3 such family.

I don't how the figures will work out but it looks to me like you would be more likely to be eligible for 50% maintenance

Edit; the wording could be interpreted either way

Terry Pratchet

No; my reading of the 4980 and 9960 is different. It's 2 extra or 3 extra not 3 in total

That was why I added on the 4,830 only

Read it carefully below - my reading is if there are 2 OTHER family members then the limit goes up by 4980.

In full maintenance and partial fee grant categories by €4,980 where there are 2 such family members, €9,960 where there are 3 such family.

I don't how the figures will work out but it looks to me like you would be more likely to be eligible for 50% maintenance

Edit; the wording could be interpreted either way

Yeah I can see what you're saying now, either way. It's still a lot better than nothing :) Thanks

• Advertisement

Yeah I can see what you're saying now, either way. It's still a lot better than nothing :) Thanks

Actually I looked at the grant scheme rules

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1339418623/Student_Grant_Scheme_2012.pdf

The 4,980 seems to be added for each additional student so it seems from reading that that you would add 9960 to your means.

However grant rules change every year. It wouldn't surprise me if they substantially reduced the 4980.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement