Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel system recommendations please

Options
  • 25-04-2013 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone could give me some help in choosing a buggy/pram/travel system for my firstborn. I just haven't a clue and finding the whole search a bit daunting! I would like a three-wheeler that folds easily and fits in a small car boot (micra). I'd like one I could slot a car seat into so I don't wake the baby up when putting him/her into the car. In my dreamworld i'd get a Recaro Babyzen but I just can't afford it (think they're just over a grand). Oh, and I'm really tall so adjustable handles would be great. My budget would be max €700 to include carseat, adapters etc. Any recommendations gratefully received!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlows

Hi Bookywook,

I've just found out I'm expecting our 3rd baby and like you i'm looking at 3 wheeler pushchairs. I'm loving the Phil and Teds Navigator at the moment. It is quite expensive thou
    http://philandteds.com/rw/Products/Push/navigator#.UXk_oqKG2-k

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭grarf

Same boat here, preference for 3-wheelers, adjustable handle, must fit car seat (with or without adapters), small car (Skoda Fabia), oh and I want a bassinette/carrycot on it too :p

I'm more likely than not going to go for the Mamas&Papas Zoom http://www.mamasandpapas.com/range/zoom/6093/ - I 'test-drove' the Sola in their Dundrum shop a few weeks back, and really liked it. The Sola is pretty identical to the Zoom, only it has 4 wheels. Apparently there's a bigger shop in Blanchardstown, so next time I'm over eastwards I'll pop in there to check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We have the out and about nipper. Its' a 3 wheeler. husband pushes it no probs, and he is over 6ft tall.

It's 300 euro. It goes flat for newborns so you don't need a pram bit.

You can clip a maxicosi carseat onto it. (those are ~150?)

http://tonykealys.com/prams-pushchairs/wheelers/new-out-n-about-single-nipper-360.html

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

We have the baby elegence beep system, ours is 3 wheels, but it looks like their new version has 4. They come with a buggy, carrycot and carts at that are all interchangeable. I know their Neyo system is nice too.
    http://www.babyelegance.org/collections/out-about

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Personally I do not like Phil and Teds.
    Do you walk a lot?
    Do you want a pram top or a reclining seat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Bookywook

Thanks for all the replies! I'll look into all of those. I had been looking at the Quinny Zapp Xtra also but its very lightweight and I don't think the handles are long enough or adjustable.

What puts you off P&T Moonbeam? Yes, I walk a lot-city,suburbs and some country roads and I'd prefer reclining seat rather than pram top. We'll need to be able to slot a car seat in and out of it as we'll be travelling in the car a bit-to go for long walks.

I had an easier time researching for the last car I bought :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It was very heavy,really hard to get up steps and also over balanced backwards going up a step .
    I only ever used it once my car broke down and a mum at the play school gave me a loan of hers.
    I had a 1 and 2 year old in it.

The out n about nipper sounds like what you need.
    I have the double and it is brilliant,it is the older version but the new one is even better.

The Petit zia or city wheels mini are also great.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Shellygoose

Hi OP,
    If you're working to a budget you could always get a 2nd hand one. theres great deals on donedeal.ie or even on some facebook buy n sell pages. dont know where you're living, but this is a great fb page for Cork based mums called Cork Baby and Children's Goods for sale / swap. https://www.facebook.com/groups/102685089848983/

Tomorrow I'm picking up a Quinny Zapp with Maxi Cosi car seat, rain cover, footmuff and carrier bag for E100 that a lady is selling from that FB page, used for only 8 months - cant argue with that price!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Second hand is a great idea, i get loads of things second hand, but be careful with car seats. You need to be 100% sure of their history.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bookywook

Thank you all so much. I'm going to have a look on donedeals and adverts.ie. as well. I really appreciate your advice.

Shellygoose, that was an absolute steal- you did well there!

Thanks pwurple, will definitely be getting a new carseat or at least a second-hand one from someone we know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Ginny wrote: »
    We have the baby elegence beep system, ours is 3 wheels, but it looks like their new version has 4. They come with a buggy, carrycot and carts at that are all interchangeable. I know their Neyo system is nice too.
    http://www.babyelegance.org/collections/out-about

I have the baby elegance beep system too and found it great for all the things you mention. I think it usually sells for 300 ish but I got it 2nd hand in good nick for 200 on adverts.
    Bookywook wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies! I'll look into all of those. I had been looking at the Quinny Zapp Xtra also but its very lightweight and I don't think the handles are long enough or adjustable.

What puts you off P&T Moonbeam? Yes, I walk a lot-city,suburbs and some country roads and I'd prefer reclining seat rather than pram top. We'll need to be able to slot a car seat in and out of it as we'll be travelling in the car a bit-to go for long walks.

I had an easier time researching for the last car I bought :)

I'm tallish (5' 8") and I found the handles on baby elegance extended really well for me so it was very comfortable wheeling it, no problems with popping car seat in and out etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Expecting at end of July, we're looking at the Buggaboo Bee for its diminutive size, light weight and one-hand manoeuvrability. We are carless, and therefore will be pushing it a lot in the city centre mostly. I saw one the other day and it did look tiny. Any opinions/experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭miss_daisy

Hi there, has anyone any experience of the little devils carerro sport 3 in 1 travel system ? I'd like something lightweight and easily manoeuvrable with a smooth ride. I'm just thinking of buying online but I'm a bit cagey about it in case I really want to send it back?

Link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CARRERA-Travel-System-Pushchair-Stroller/dp/B0095K9D18/ref=pd_sim_sbs_by_11

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm also looking at

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bambini-Purpureo-stroller-pushchair-attachment/dp/B009M3YGBA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=7JY597945XJK&coliid=I2CVJA6AY2FAJU#productDetails

And there's a car seat you can buy with it.

Has anyone experience of these?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Any similar recommendations for a 4 wheel travel system? My Wife isn't keen on the three wheel or different sized wheel versions, Anyone using the Mothercare Trenton ?? Mixed reviews online!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

We bought an Uppababy vista and we're loving it. It has four wheels and a big basket that fits loads. We got the stroller, carrycot and car seat and it's quite easy to use. Our baby is only 3 weeks old but I'm already well able to clip things on and off and fold it up and down. We have a puegeot 207 and it fits fine in our boot.

The carrycot attachment can also be used as a Moses basket and it's safe for the baby to sleep overnight in it. We bought the stand that goes with it so the carrycot attachment is used as a Moses basket in our sitting room.

It's not cheap (we got stroller, carrycot attachment, car seat and isofix base for€960 - thr stand to turn the carrycot into a moses basket is extra) but we're really liking it. We also bought this one in particular because if you have a second child there is a rumble seat you can buy to turn it into a double buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Shellygoose

cw67irl wrote: »
    Any similar recommendations for a 4 wheel travel system? My Wife isn't keen on the three wheel or different sized wheel versions, Anyone using the Mothercare Trenton ?? Mixed reviews online!

I had the mothercare trenton, its a fine buggy..here are my pros n cons:

Cons-
    its quite heavy to push (especially as i live in a town that has MANY hills!!).
    No real 'suspension' in it...so if goin over gravel or bumpy road it looks like baby was being rattled inside her seat!
    It took up a lot of room in the boot of the car (we have a peugeot 307).

Pros-
    I liked the fact that it could b folded down using one hand.
    There's a big sized shopping basket.
    Ours came wit a separate cositoes for carseat which i found handy.
    Has drinks holder n pedimeter which was great for parent.

I've just recently gotten rid of this buggy n took my friends 3wheeler quinny speedy. It takes up less room in d boot of car n is more lightweight....especially with all d hills I have to face lol

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

We have the Uppababy vista and cannot fault it! I basically agree with everything MurdyWurdy said! Y

I'm due my second baby in September so have bought the rumble seat for it, which will be handy for short trips but not for the longer days out. It has no recline and only faces towards the other seat which isn't ideal. Also it can only be used with the car seat/buggy seat. I looked at other double options but couldn't justify spending the money especially since I do love the pram!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 wex83

We just bought the Uppababy Vista last week from pramworld.co.uk. We ordered it on Sunday afternoon and it was delivered on the Wedesday. Not due until first week in November but we saw that they had a really good deal as the cole blue colours was being discontinued. We have done a lot of research and found that the Uppababy would be the best suited to our needs. I know it is a bit pricey but we felt that it was very good quality and with the carrycot suitable for overnight sleeping and the option of the rumble seat for a toddler this also made it very attractive. We paid just under €800 including delivery for the full package including maxicosi, adapters and isofix base. We had priced around here and the cheapest we could find in Ireland on the sale was €900 so we were very pleased with the deal we got. Here is the link, I know they had 15 left when we ordered last week so they might still have some left if anyone is interested.
    http://www.pramworld.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/15116/s/uppababy-vista-travel-system-cole-blue/category/3/

Another feature the uppababy has that is coming in very handy at the moment is a UV protection sun shield on the carrycot part. You can pull it down and it protects baby completely from the sun. In weather like this it's priceless!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

A few of the travel systems I looked at had carrycots that were suitable for overnight sleeping. While this would be handy, I didn't think at the time it would be essential. However, the more I think about it, I'm starting to realise that I could often be out and about all day with the baby in the carrycot - would this be a problem? How long is it advisable to leave the baby in a non-overnight carrycot at any one time? I guess it would be nice to have an overnight one, as if I arrived home from somewhere and the baby was sleeping, I'd be able to leave them in the carrycot rather than disturbing them - I'm guessing you shouldn't do this with the non-overnight ones?

I'm getting nowhere with my hunt for the right travel system ... the more research I do, the more confused I get. :o I guess my main requirements right now are ... a travel system that's relatively lightweight and easy to fold, preferably 4-wheel, large basket, and with overnight carrycot. And with wheels that won't get punctures. I won't be having another kid in the next couple of years, so I don't need one that can be adapted to a double.

If anyone could throw out a couple of suggestions that might suit, I'd much appreciate it? :o (No real budget in mind, but I'm thinking anywhere between e800-e1,200.)

Also would appreciate suggestions of the best places to buy from?

Thanks!

A few of the travel systems I looked at had carrycots that were suitable for overnight sleeping. While this would be handy, I didn't think at the time it would be essential. However, the more I think about it, I'm starting to realise that I could often be out and about all day with the baby in the carrycot - would this be a problem? How long is it advisable to leave the baby in a non-overnight carrycot at any one time? I guess it would be nice to have an overnight one, as if I arrived home from somewhere and the baby was sleeping, I'd be able to leave them in the carrycot rather than disturbing them - I'm guessing you shouldn't do this with the non-overnight ones?

I'm getting nowhere with my hunt for the right travel system, the more research I do, the more confused I get. :o I guess my main requirements right now are ... a travel system that's relatively lightweight and easy to fold, preferably 4-wheel, large basket, and with overnight carrycot. And with wheels that won't get punctures. I won't be having another kid in the next couple of years, so I don't need one that can be adapted to a double.

If anyone could throw out a couple of suggestions that might suit, I'd much appreciate it? :o (No real budget in mind, but I'm thinking anywhere between e800-e1,200.)

Thanks!

We used the overnight carrycot more than we thought - it was great to use as a travel cot too when we stayed with my parents if they were babysitting etc. I don't think it's essential but if you're going to have one anyway I think it's handy to have.

I would recommend our travel system (which I mentioned earlier in this thread) - the uppababy vista (we got it with a besafe car seat). It has 4 wheels, a massive basket (I use it as a trolley when I go to the supermarket because it fits so much), and wheels that don't puncture (foam maybe?). I find it easy enough to fold down and up.

I also found it great because the buggy seat attachment is suitable from birth as it lays flat. My boy is 3.5 months old and we're already using the buggy seat instead of the carrycot because he has the most ridiculous case of FOMO (fear of missing out) so has to see everything that goes on. The seat has three settings for reclining so on the middle setting it's high enough for him to see out but still flat enough that he's comfortable.

Ours was €969 from Tony Kealy's too so within your price range.

We never used the carrycot for overnight but did use it instead of a basket downstairs but mostly they all slept in the bouncer for day naps.
    On the 1st I really wanted a carry cot,by the 3rd I appreciated the buggies that go flat and baby can sleep in!!
    Depending on the size of the carry cot and baby you might only get a few weeks out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I'm getting nowhere with my hunt for the right travel system ... the more research I do, the more confused I get. :o I guess my main requirements right now are ... a travel system that's relatively lightweight and easy to fold, preferably 4-wheel, large basket, and with overnight carrycot. And with wheels that won't get punctures. I won't be having another kid in the next couple of years, so I don't need one that can be adapted to a double.

Thanks!

I went to tony kealys to test drive travel systems! I had narrowed it down to the uppababy vista, bugaboo cameleon and bugaboo bee. I have three Labradors so something that is easy to push is essential. The girl was very good she basically crossed off the bee straight away she said it was an umbrella stroller. We decided to go with the cameleon as We felt it was lighter to push and easier to put together and not as bulky. On their website they say the carrycot is suitable for overnight sleeping but in the shop the girl said it has not been tested for over night sleeping although it is an aerosleep mattress. The one thing I liked about the vista is you don't need to take off the buggy seat when you put it down and the carry cot is suitable for overnight sleeps. It's funny I always swore I wasn't going to join the bugaboo brigade!! We are getting the besafe car seat aswell. They are doing a very good deal €1150 for cameleon 3, car seat, isofix base. Muff is €110 but I am sure they would match bella baby €1229. They had a display model of Cameleon 2 for everything including muff for €1050 also but it might be sold now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

+1 on the bugaboo cameleon! My daughter is 5.5months old and I have not one ounce of regret buying it, I absolutely love it!! I walk an awful lot everyday and it is so easy to manoeuvre, baby can sleep away soundly as the shock absorbers deal with the bumps etc. Rain cover is simple to put on and has been a godsend recently. It folds very easily and isn't a tonne weight. Storage is good, can fit a good bit into it, although when using the carrycot it can be a bit of a pain to access. We used the carrycot until about 4.5months as she was nearly breaking her neck trying to see out of it and refused to lie flat. She spent a lot of time sleeping in the carrycot though! We have been away on my parents boat two weekends and it worked perfectly as a bed for her. The seat itself reclines flat anyway so she can still snooze away in comfort.

As Millem said the one minor downside is having to unclick the seat when folding but it's so lightweight and easy to fold it really isn't an issue. I have a VW golf and it fits in the boot with room for shopping.

We went to Tony Kealys aswell and tested them all, personally we felt none compared to the cameleon so was an easy decision. We got the full package including besafe izi go carseat, base, footmuff and cameleon for 1229. The resale on bugaboos is brilliant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Digs wrote: »
    +1 on the bugaboo cameleon! My daughter is 5.5months old and I have not one ounce of regret buying it, I absolutely love it!! I walk an awful lot everyday and it is so easy to manoeuvre, baby can sleep away soundly as the shock absorbers deal with the bumps etc. Rain cover is simple to put on and has been a godsend recently. It folds very easily and isn't a tonne weight. Storage is good, can fit a good bit into it, although when using the carrycot it can be a bit of a pain to access. We used the carrycot until about 4.5months as she was nearly breaking her neck trying to see out of it and refused to lie flat. She spent a lot of time sleeping in the carrycot though! We have been away on my parents boat two weekends and it worked perfectly as a bed for her. The seat itself reclines flat anyway so she can still snooze away in comfort.

As Millem said the one minor downside is having to unclick the seat when folding but it's so lightweight and easy to fold it really isn't an issue. I have a VW golf and it fits in the boot with room for shopping.

We went to Tony Kealys aswell and tested them all, personally we felt none compared to the cameleon so was an easy decision. We got the full package including besafe izi go carseat, base, footmuff and cameleon for 1229. The resale on bugaboos is brilliant too.

Totally agree about resale value. I see cam3 reselling for €600 on adverts without car seat or isofix base! I was talking to a friend who was just so adamant on a bugaboo she kept it for 6 years and used it on two children and sold it for €400! I can't wait to get ours! Not due till January. Everything can be washed in the washing machine which is a big plus and they said they will keep buggy there in shop till January for us. They are having a sale on the 26th dec (or 27th can't remember) and she said if the package was reduced we could get it for sale price (even if we had fully paid!). I know it is expensive but the way I see it is you can buy the clothes in tesco etc they are in them for such a short amount of time but you will be using travel system everyday. The girl in shop did say be prepared to buy a cheap umbrella stroller (less than €50 actually less in argos) if the baby goes to creche as bugaboo would be too bulky for storage and also I have heard of airlines being so rough putting the bugaboos on the plane and scratching them!

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    We used the overnight carrycot more than we thought - it was great to use as a travel cot too when we stayed with my parents if they were babysitting etc. I don't think it's essential but if you're going to have one anyway I think it's handy to have.

I would recommend our travel system (which I mentioned earlier in this thread) - the uppababy vista (we got it with a besafe car seat). It has 4 wheels, a massive basket (I use it as a trolley when I go to the supermarket because it fits so much), and wheels that don't puncture (foam maybe?). I find it easy enough to fold down and up.

I also found it great because the buggy seat attachment is suitable from birth as it lays flat. My boy is 3.5 months old and we're already using the buggy seat instead of the carrycot because he has the most ridiculous case of FOMO (fear of missing out) so has to see everything that goes on. The seat has three settings for reclining so on the middle setting it's high enough for him to see out but still flat enough that he's comfortable.

Ours was €969 from Tony Kealy's too so within your price range.

MurdyWurdy we went with the Uppababy Vista in the end - thanks for the recommendation! :) Can't wait to try it out!

We got it from Kool Kidz in Sligo for €949 incl. Maxi Cosi car seat and base - they do free delivery nationwide, which is great, as we live in Dublin and don't have a car! Will probably order a changing table and a few other things from them too and get it all delivered together.

MurdyWurdy we went with the Uppababy Vista in the end - thanks for the recommendation! :) Can't wait to try it out!

We got it from Kool Kidz in Sligo for €949 incl. Maxi Cosi car seat and base - they do free delivery nationwide, which is great, as we live in Dublin and don't have a car! Will probably order a changing table and a few other things from them too and get it all delivered together.

That's a great price! It's exciting getting your travel system, isn't it? What colour did you go for?

We were just on holidays in Madeira and brought the uppababy stroller part with us. It was great, we were impressed with it- we took him everywhere in it and Madeira is quite hilly and cobbly. The recline was great for having dinner at night too, as soon as he fell asleep we put him back and he slept away. The uv shades were great too because it was very sunny.

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    That's a great price! It's exciting getting your travel system, isn't it? What colour did you go for?

We were just on holidays in Madeira and brought the uppababy stroller part with us. It was great, we were impressed with it- we took him everywhere in it and Madeira is quite hilly and cobbly. The recline was great for having dinner at night too, as soon as he fell asleep we put him back and he slept away. The uv shades were great too because it was very sunny.

We went for the green! Which one did you get?

Yeah the UV shades seem so handy, there were loads of little features like that that none of the others seems to have!

• Advertisement

We went for the green! Which one did you get?

Yeah the UV shades seem so handy, there were loads of little features like that that none of the others seems to have!

We have the green one too - it was my favourite by far! We're still discovering little things about it that are helpful. There are two things I don't like about it - the fact that to fold it up all in one piece when using the stroller the chair has to be facing away from you so I have to in lock it and turn it around and that the cup holder is on the outside so can hit against things. Otherwise it's perfect!

Advertisement