Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new boiler

Options
  • 25-04-2013 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi can anyone advise me on boilers.My boiler is over 30 years old.It is cast iron .It never gives me any trouble but it uses a lot of oil. It used 1000 litres from mid nov to mid feb cost 930 euro. In winter its on about 6 hours a day and rads are roasting .Its rarely on may to oct . Uses 2 fills of 1000 litres a year.My boiler man wants me to change it for a Saint Roche ultra boiler as he says it will save a lot of oil as it is 89%efficent .I am on the gas line so i got a price for a Gloworm flexicom 30 condenser boiler also .My worry is that the new boiler will be more troublesome and that what ill save in oil ill pay in service and parts . Should i choose gas or oil or keep what i have .Any advice appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

sindy 4 wrote: »
    Hi can anyone advise me on boilers.My boiler is over 30 years old.It is cast iron .It never gives me any trouble but it uses a lot of oil. It used 1000 litres from mid nov to mid feb cost 930 euro. In winter its on about 6 hours a day and rads are roasting .Its rarely on may to oct . Uses 2 fills of 1000 litres a year.My boiler man wants me to change it for a Saint Roche ultra boiler as he says it will save a lot of oil as it is 89%efficent .I am on the gas line so i got a price for a Gloworm flexicom 30 condenser boiler also .My worry is that the new boiler will be more troublesome and that what ill save in oil ill pay in service and parts . Should i choose gas or oil or keep what i have .Any advice appreciated thanks.
    You should change to gas it is cheaper.when your having the boiler fitted just make sure all the right steps are taken by the plumber as in powerer fushing and correct size of boiler and gas pipe work. Once its done correctly then you have a good warranty and be trouble free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Yes definately go with nat gas. And as crock said make sure your system is properly flushed. I'd look into zoning your system and upgrading your heating controls too. It'll all save u money.theres plenty of new gas boilers out there with 5 year warranties now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sindy 4

Thanks for that .Do you know if the gloworm flexicom 30 is a good boiler as that one is the one i have been quoted for . The quote for boiler plus all new piping and 5 large and 4 smaller new rads with zone controls was 5000 which seems good if that boiler is good .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

sindy 4 wrote: »
    Thanks for that .Do you know if the gloworm flexicom 30 is a good boiler as that one is the one i have been quoted for . The quote for boiler plus all new piping and 5 large and 4 smaller new rads with zone controls was 5000 which seems good if that boiler is good .

Not familiar with the boiler but insist on a flush before it goes in

Advertisement