Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

calf slats

Options
  • 25-04-2013 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Anybody with ideas on which calf slats work best.
    have used wooden homemade ones for years but they wear a lot. Put in a pen of plastic sheep-calf slats and thought they would be the job but they are a bit slippy and when calves are fed straw they turn out to be a total disaster so only suited to calves for the first couple of weeks. Anybody got something better. How do concrete pig slats do or are they to cold.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pms7

I have homemade 2x1.5'' timber ones for over 10 years. Find them great.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Probably the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

I made some out of 2nds in decking on 6x3"s use them in the jumbo jfc calf hutches find them real good in since 07 and still going strong

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cornflakeman

Could try cast iron pig slats either . I sold some to a guy before and this was his plan for them .

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭tommylimerick

a lot of people use palets from fertilizer free and you can throw them away every year
    we also have the pig slats on bricks butr if dung builds up underneath can give the calves a cough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Saw cast iron ones on dondeal and this is what got me thinking.
    are the calf hitches any good? Always thought they would need moved very often.
    How many calves can fit into the jumbo model?
    In this weather young calves need some form of shelter when turning out.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pms7

a lot of people use palets from fertilizer free and you can throw them away every year
    we also have the pig slats on bricks butr if dung builds up underneath can give the calves a cough
    Yes, I find they must be cleaned out very often, especially when have shelters over where calves lie to prevent draughts. Not too hard though if have a water pipe handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭MANSFIELD

I got some of these plastic calf slats. I find them very good.

http://www.recycledplastic.ie/index.php?&pcID=root&cID=4

• Registered Users Posts: 8 massey4355

Would ye think these would be any good as calf slats?

http://www.donedeal.ie/stock-for-sale/plastic-pallets-hd/5601871

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

Are you putting these on top of a concrete floor or on top of slats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 massey4355

jersey101 wrote: »
    Are you putting these on top of a concrete floor or on top of slats?

Thinking of putting these down on top of concrete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i used to use the wooden slats in o donnovan single pens, hated them , was always a draught coming up under them, took out the slats and straw bed them, then can move pens around when i want

whelan1 wrote: »
    i used to use the wooden slats in o donnovan single pens, hated them , was always a draught coming up under them, took out the slats and straw bed them, then can move pens around when i want

i made up single pens this year and i think there a brilliant job so far any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭mf240

No need for single pens.

Just group pens with plenty of straw.

mf240 wrote: »
    No need for single pens.

i wouldnt have very compacted calving so there handy like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

mf240 wrote: »
    No need for single pens.

i only use them for a couple of days til they are drinking properly then they go to group pens

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

I use homemade timber slats and then bed as normal with straw. for the single pens before grouping them. Taught a slat on its own would be draughty. By bedding it it lets out the pee keeping bed dry

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Anyone have a good suggestion for a calf slat for putting under calves in a group straw pen on top of concrete?

Up until now I've small concrete slats on top of the concrete and put straw on top of them then but a pain to lay and lift them every year. I haven’t laid them down yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭50HX

Get the jfc 4 x 3 plastic slats, expensive but my back has thanked me

They are light weight but rated to 300kg I think

No bother in cleaning out pens when they are so easy to move

Advertisement