Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cubase 5 soloing problem

Options
  • 25-04-2013 4:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hi I'm having a problem with an instrument track in cubase 5 and was hoping somebody here might know how to solve it. It's a problem I've encountered before a few times that has either sorted itself out, or I had fixed it myself inadvertently. The problem is more persistent this time unfortunately.

Basically, I have a particular instrument track using the HalionOne VST (although I'm guessing the issue has nothing to do with HalionOne). I've written an automation for the track using the mute parameter. As such, the track is read enabled. The track plays absolutely perfectly normally, however whenever I solo the track, there is no sound coming through despite the little meter (the one immediately to the right of the 'Write' button on the track) indicating that the audio is playing as normal.

This is a problem only on one particular instrument track, the others are working absolutely fine despite having mute automations themselves, so I can't understand what's different with this track. Sometimes I find that tracks can kind of get 'stuck' on mute when they are read enabled (I'm sure there's probably a good reason for this that I don't understand though), but I can usually solve this by unmuting, un-read enabling, muting again, unmuting...etc in different permutations, I've tried every combination with this particular track though and just can't seem to get audio out while it's solo'd.

Anyone come across this before?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

I'm on Windows Vista 32-bit btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

The mute automation ultimately dictates what solo does.
    On a mute automated section, solo will only work for as long as you hold a click on it.

Secondly, if you play across a mute off to mute on transition and then skip back to a mute off section without crossing a mute on to mute off automation transition the the track can remain muted.

Similar to the bug you can have with program's where a MIDI note off message not being registered keeps the note playing till you strike the note again.

It could be best to save your plugin settings as a preset and creating a new track with a new set of plugins, load the presents and copy the audio/midi in.

bbk wrote: »
    The mute automation ultimately dictates what solo does.
    On a mute automated section, solo will only work for as long as you hold a click on it.

Thanks for the response. Ye, no I'm aware of this alright, it seems the problem goes deeper than that though. The track that's solo'd won't even play back audio from the sections that are un-muted in the automation.

Secondly, if you play across a mute off to mute on transition and then skip back to a mute off section without crossing a mute on to mute off automation transition the the track can remain muted.

Had a look there and it seems that this isn't the problem, or at least, it isn't indicated with a yellow mute button anyway. But it's a handy tip, I'll keep it in mind for the future.
    It could be best to save your plugin settings as a preset and creating a new track with a new set of plugins, load the presents and copy the audio/midi in.

I tried putting a mute automation there on a seperate audio track in the mix, just to have a play around and double check things in reference to your second point, low and behold when that track was solo'd in combination with the buggy track the buggy instrument track would play in a solo'd state. I reckon I'll do as you say and just recreate the track from scratch, this bloody thing has more bugs than a North Korean hotel. Thanks a million for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Cubase 5 has some quirks. I just call it character haha.

I am using 6.5 at the moment and have been using Cubase since SX2 and the improvements have been great but I don't really do much MIDI stuff. Cubase SX3 remains the most solid DAW I have ever used. The version 5 and 6 updates brought some great features in and for me, maintained that solidity. I am unsure of version 7, just because it looks so different. I need to get the trail some time and have a mess around.

Best 'o' luck!!

Cubase 5 has some quirks. I just call it character haha.

I am using 6.5 at the moment and have been using Cubase since SX2 and the improvements have been great but I don't really do much MIDI stuff. Cubase SX3 remains the most solid DAW I have ever used. The version 5 and 6 updates brought some great features in and for me, maintained that solidity. I am unsure of version 7, just because it looks so different. I need to get the trail some time and have a mess around.

Best 'o' luck!!

Hmm interesting about SX3, 5 seems to be pretty buggy at times, but it just seems so daunting to move to another DAW! Thanks for the help anyway, I'm sure I'll be back with more bugs!

• Advertisement
Advertisement