Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most difficult part of LC

Options
  • 24-04-2013 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

What do people think is the most difficult part of the Leaving cert?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Conor556

The 2 weeks in june!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

2 years of work all leading up to 1 day and knowing that if you mess up the exam on that day, all that work is gone to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

Students asking stupid questions when they should be studying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Having 7, 8 or even 9 different subjects and you're expected to have a good grasp of each of them.

Having 2 years of homework, study and grinds examined in 2.5 hours, 10 or 12 pages.

That's what I found hardest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Staying motivated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Derpington95

buyer95 wrote: »
    Staying motivated.

Getting motivated* :L :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RealExpert

Claire1456 wrote: »
    When you're finished the paper half an hour after starting it and you have to punch in the rest of the time till the exam is over cos your parents told you not to leave early

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anna.fun

The hardest part is not overestimating the importance of the LC. Not putting too much pressure on yourself, not forgetting everything else over studying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I think the finally 3-4 weeks is the hardest. Your sick of studying and I seen a lot of my friends not working for last weeks because they lost motivation

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Overall it hasn't been the worst, however with the summer weather coming in and some of your mates finishing college it gets harder :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Insensitive toothbrush

The hardest part is keeping a cool head and doing the business with everyone around you falling into the hype of overworking sacrificing their health for studying and generally being eijits

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Claire1456

The hardest part is keeping a cool head and doing the business with everyone around you falling into the hype of overworking sacrificing their health for studying and generally being eijits

Sacrificing health, in what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Derpington95

Many people stop playing sport as much as they did or completely to get themselves more time to study. Which obviously isn't great for your health with all the snack foods people eat while studying. Also stress is a huge factor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

I sat my LC in 2009 and I'm about to sit my final exams for my degree.

The hardest part sometimes was blocking out other people and what they were doing. Even now at college I try to do the same. Stick to your own way of doing things. If Jenny says that she spends 8 hours on history writing the same essay over and over to learn it, then takes a nap and goes on to do the same thing for English, that DOES NOT MEAN that you should change your study routine to do that. Unless your study routine seems to be failing you (as in, you're getting nothing done) then there's no need to change it.

As well, don't forget the normal stuff in life. My dad never had much to do with me and rarely gave advice, but one thing he said that was great advice always stuck with me. I always attended GAA games and there was one on the weekend before the LC began. He asked if I was going and I said no, I have to study. He said, look. Don't put it ahead of your normal routine. The break will do you better than the study will in the long run. It's only a couple of hours and you can do stuff when you go back if you want to.

My point is, the day is long. Take time out every now and again. Don't put yourself under massive pressure. Right now I'm (supposed to be) studying for an exam. My classmates talk often about "is this gonna come up? Do you know that? I'd say this is definitely not gonna be there" etc. I don't listen. I'm following the lecturer's advice pre-exams and doing those topics in my own way.

It's up to you how you study - never let someone make you feel bad that you aren't doing as much as they are. Never change tack based on someone saying they did something you didn't do. Think for yourself and do what you feel comfortable doing. That's my 2 cents.

I got 570 in my LC and my course was 315 at the time. Some folks tried to make me feel like I was wasting points. Screw them. Aim to do the absolute best you can do regardless of what the points for your prospective course are (if college is your option). And don't listen to the begrudgers.

Hope this might help someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    I sat my LC in 2009 and I'm about to sit my final exams for my degree.

The hardest part sometimes was blocking out other people and what they were doing. Even now at college I try to do the same. Stick to your own way of doing things. If Jenny says that she spends 8 hours on history writing the same essay over and over to learn it, then takes a nap and goes on to do the same thing for English, that DOES NOT MEAN that you should change your study routine to do that. Unless your study routine seems to be failing you (as in, you're getting nothing done) then there's no need to change it.

As well, don't forget the normal stuff in life. My dad never had much to do with me and rarely gave advice, but one thing he said that was great advice always stuck with me. I always attended GAA games and there was one on the weekend before the LC began. He asked if I was going and I said no, I have to study. He said, look. Don't put it ahead of your normal routine. The break will do you better than the study will in the long run. It's only a couple of hours and you can do stuff when you go back if you want to.
    Hope this might help someone!

Flip sake I wish you posted that earlier because now I feel guilty for not going to the Leinster game :pac: Great advice though! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Insensitive toothbrush

I did my leaving cert in limerick tutorial college last which was a top class swat house Students smoked and drank coffee all the time because they needed to and they did a 9 - 9 day pretty much every day for the year the hype regarding study and leaving cert was intense and many of my classmates looked like they were on the verge of mental breakdowns I'm not really built for studying like that so I made excuses to leave everyday at 5. I continued training playing Xbox guitar wasting time on the Internet or with friends and I feel like not getting involved in the hype worked out well. There were too many others so wound up and under pressure that they underperformed when they finally surfaced from their caves after the exams. Do your own thing take it easy and don't underestimate the importance of the 2 weeks leading up the exams because 90 % of what you remember in the exam will come from those and the night before. Trust me . Also if we're putting pedigrees on this I got 595 last year with the 25 maths points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

kingcobra wrote: »
    Flip sake I wish you posted that earlier because now I feel guilty for not going to the Leinster game :pac: Great advice though! :pac:

You should have gone, best atmosphere of the season :P You should go to the Ospreys game to make it up to yourself :pac:

decisions wrote: »
    You should have gone, best atmosphere of the season :P You should go to the Ospreys game to make it up to yourself :pac:

Please...don't rub it in :P I think I'm due a nice break so the Ospreys game will do fine :D

See you there then, I'll be the girl in the Leinster jersey :P

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

I think the hardest part is the incessant guilt. Either you're studying or you're feeling bad about not studying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

kingcobra wrote: »
    Please...don't rub it in :P I think I'm due a nice break so the Ospreys game will do fine :D

Sooo jealous I wish I could go! :(

Sooo jealous I wish I could go! :(

Season ticket :D

Season ticket :D

Care to share it around here? :P

Maybe next year, if I renew it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

My problem is it easily costs me nearly 3 times the amount of a ticket to get up and back. But they my boyys :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

The worst part of it is the way it hangs over you. Can't go out without a guilty conscience. Can't chill for the weekend without feeling sh1te. You daydream about how great summer will be, then reality comes crashing back. Worse again when this is your home page.

36 days, that's fúcking scary : O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

36 days, that's fúcking scary : O

+ ∞

Time to panic yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Claire1456

Prodigious wrote: »
    The worst part of it is the way it hangs over you. Can't go out without a guilty conscience. Can't chill for the weekend without feeling sh1te. You daydream about how great summer will be, then reality comes crashing back. Worse again when this is your home page.

That means its one month and four days until I go to French college for three weeks! Fuun. Ah, we all have to go through the leaving Cert at some stage, regardless.

Advertisement