Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agent Query - Calling His Bluff

Options
  • 24-04-2013 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,

I am wondering - if an estate agent says he got an offer on a house, which was higher than yours, can you legally request that he sends you proof of this offer?

Jo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

What sort of proof do you expect to get?

An offer can be and is usually done over the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The estate agent can tell you anything he likes! I wouldn't take their word for it either.

Leave your offer on the table. Look at other properties, and be prepared to walk away if you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

jocotty wrote: »
    I am wondering - if an estate agent says he got an offer on a house, which was higher than yours, can you legally request that he sends you proof of this offer?
    That is equivalent to asking your opponent in a game of poker to show you his hand before deciding how to respond to his bet. You have no enforceable right to ask, and no chance of getting an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

Hi,

Jo

You can certainly request it but he will probably refuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

What sort of proof do you expect to get?

An offer can be and is usually done over the phone

For something as important as making an offer for property I would imagine that all offers should be documented (email even) and an acknowledgment of the offer requested from the EA by return. Of course, an offer in writing should have the usual caveats entered re structural review, duration of offer etc.
    Also, in making an offer in writing, this may have legal or contractual obligations ?? . So best consider carefully anything documented. Like the poster of this thread, I too would have reservations as to the tactics employed by some EA's and from reviewing postings in the Accommodation and Property thread, there appears to be little prospective bidders can do to thwart such activities , except walk away if you smell a rat !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

For something as important as making an offer for property I would imagine that all offers should be documented (email even) and an acknowledgment of the offer requested from the EA by return. Of course, an offer in writing should have the usual caveats entered re structural review, duration of offer etc!
    I've never heard of this. Offers are almost always verbal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

For something as important as making an offer for property I would imagine that all offers should be documented (email even) and an acknowledgment of the offer requested from the EA by return. Of course, an offer in writing should have the usual caveats entered re structural review, duration of offer etc.
    Also, in making an offer in writing, this may have legal or contractual obligations ?? . So best consider carefully anything documented. Like the poster of this thread, I too would have reservations as to the tactics employed by some EA's and from reviewing postings in the Accommodation and Property thread, there appears to be little prospective bidders can do to thwart such activities , except walk away if you smell a rat !!

Unless it's changed recently offers are verbal. Even when excepted and deposits paid a smart/smarmy buyer can still walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Hi,

attached link might be of some info:

http://buyersbroker.ie/blog/2011/06/dealing-with-competing-bids-and-suspected-false-bids/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

as you yourself point out offers in writing can have legal and contractual consequences, something both sides do everything to avoid until the signing of contracts. for that reason written offers are to be avoided.

Advertisement