Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

High mileage on good car, avoid?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

All depends on how well it has been serviced. If it has a full service history then I dont think I would let the mileage necessarily put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

I would consider that delivery mileage but condition is everything. I would expect it to clock up well in excess of 200,000 miles with ease with proper maintenance.

Years ago, I was in a breaker's yard to get a speedo cable for a MKII Golf and went to remove one from a scrapped a Golf. Got into it to unscrew the dashboard, the driver's seat felt like I was sitting on a few bars as all the padding had disappeared. What have they done to the seat I wondered? I looked at the speedometer and realised the car had over 550,000 on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

I would ask the seller to run it through the nct. You can do so 3months before its due. Just see dose it show any faults. If its as well minded as claimed there should be no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭magnus500

As it's taking about 6 weeks for an NCT I reckon he won't bother as he'll get it sold. Would be ideal though!! I was thinking of going for this because when the tax and insurance for a diesel is taken in to account the petrol is a better option for me as mileage fairly low. Also a fairly high spec model.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

magnus500 wrote: »
    As it's taking about 6 weeks for an NCT I reckon he won't bother as he'll get it sold. Would be ideal though!! I was thinking of going for this because when the tax and insurance for a diesel is taken in to account the petrol is a better option for me as mileage fairly low. Also a fairly high spec model.

I'd look at it the other way. Any seller looking to shift a car would be in a better position if it had a fresh NCT unless the seller knows it will fail or has already failed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭Albert E. Arkwright

piston wrote: »
    Years ago, I was in a breaker's yard to get a speedo cable for a MKII Golf and went to remove one from a scrapped a Golf. Got into it to unscrew the dashboard, the driver's seat felt like I was sitting on a few bars as all the padding had disappeared. What have they done to the seat I wondered? I looked at the speedometer and realised the car had over 550,000 on the clock.

Older diesel VAG durability and reliability bears no relation to the motors they knock out today. VAG are living off the back of a long gone reputation for reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

magnus500 wrote: »

It doesn't take 6 weeks. You call them and they text you one in a couple of days. Normally 2-3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭johnnydeep

any 2005 diesel car with less miles is clocked. was working on 2001 mondeo lately with 350k going like a rocket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

johnnydeep wrote: »
    any 2005 diesel car with less miles is clocked. was working on 2001 mondeo lately with 350k going like a rocket

It's petrol 1.6 going by the ad. My dad has the same car op except diesel and he loves it 2005 new model 180k km on it it never causes any trouble.

cant see that add. what size engine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

johnnydeep wrote: »
    cant see that add. what size engine

1.6 petrol which is alot better engine than the 1.4. Well I think the 1.4s main problem is lack of power really.

Bpmull wrote: »
    1.6 petrol which is alot better engine than the 1.4. Well I think the 1.4s main problem is lack of power really.
    lack of power and not a good engine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

I think the 1.6 was an 8valve compared to the 16v in the 1.4. If I'm not mistaken some 1.6 were 16v too and not as reliable as the older 8v

Advertisement