Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hubby got job, quick questions

Options
  • 24-04-2013 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Hubby on JSB and me on JSA, he lost his job earlier in the year, my JSA had been based on his wages...we have 2 kids anyway my JSA went up on a/c of him being unemployed.

1-He's after getting a job, well based on a medical on Monday & induction day he has to bring bank details. Should he ring social welfare before mon and advise them or wait until his sign on day-May 11th (The company told him he would be starting in may date not advised).

Now he is also on a month by month contract and job may only go up until Dec we arent sure just yet do we tell the social its temporary (Month/Month basis) or does that matter

2 My JSA will have to be reassesed on his new wages (any1 any idea what i would be entitled to or if anything at all we have the 2 kids also)... someone was saying from a previous thread, we arent sure exactly what his take home pay will be as he could be on 2 different shifts paying different amounts? in the meant time would my JSA be suspended until we get 3 wage slips and send them in? we wouldnt be able to afford it as we have a morg and bills to pay in the meantime.

Shift 1 - before tax approx = 506.00
    Shift 2 - " = 656.00 again not sure of figures

Delighted he got the job btw , as you would imagine he was going off his rocker being unemployed.

Any advice appreciated, im just a forward planner and hate being uncertain of things.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

1)sign off online on the first day he starts work https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/CloseClaim.aspx.

Your jsa claim is not based on take home pay,it will be his gross less pris and pension. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/work_and_jobseekers_allowance.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I've been in the same position. I'd wait until he gets a definite start date and inform Welfare then.

You'll be re-assessed for JSA. But you'll have to wait until your husband get his pay slips as Welfare will need them to means test you. Therefore, no figures can be given as yet, until the means test has been done. If the salary's differing amounts, then Welfare will probably average them out. You'll probably keep your existing payment until they decide.

If it's a month to month? BEWARE!! It'll take Welfare ages to restore your benefits!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

Thanks guys, do u think i will get anything?
    We hav morg protection also have to advise them & they say let them know if its temporary ...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If we take the €506 figure as an example and lets say there is €60 prsi,pension ect.

€506 less prsi =446 less 60 disregard =386 get 60% of 386 =231

Means from €506 wages = €231 max payment for couple with 2 kids on JSA €372.40 minus means = €141 aprox payment

The above is a very rough guide please do not depend on the figures without checking them yourself.

Thank u, ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Congrats to your partner! You might be better off applying for Family Income Supplement.

Congrats to your partner! You might be better off applying for Family Income Supplement.

Thanks, we r delighted i think men find it worse being at home, I think il c if i get jsa and then maybe do fis?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You may be better off applying for family income supplement.

If you go into welfare.ie and put in family income supplement in the search this site area you can find out more information on this.

I would look at both on welfare.ie and work out which would be better for you to apply for.

If you work out things as per mp22 told you to find out - prsi, pension,usc ect put your husbands salary into http://www.taxcalc.eu
    If you work out 6 months salary on shift one and 6 months salary of shift 2 then take 2 weeks off both of them to allow for 20 days holidays a year. This will give aprox what he would earn a year.
    I hope this helps you.

Thanks a mill will check that out, from 2nd shift i worked out i would probably get about €74

Rang the social welfare 2day, hubby officially started & is in 2mrw...my claim will b suspended until they re-asses me, I won't get anything near the €154 I was getting tho...just have to send in 1 payslip...prob take a couple of weeks to asses... Left in limbo for a couple of weeks now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I would get the ball rolling with FIS, apply and tell them payslips are to follow.

They will decide which will be a higher payment so there's no risk with applying for both.

Im goin to print the forms now, just wondering they are looking for a p60 (no prob) & Tax Credit Certificate for the current tax year em whats that tho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It's a P21 or a 12A they're looking for. Call Revenue and get one.

Advertisement