Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unemployment Question

Options
  • 24-04-2013 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm have a few queries relating to a family friend who has been unemployed for three years.

As far as I know technically he was self employed and relied on one company for all his work, this company closed down and he found himself unable to find work.

As soon as this happened he went down to the local social welfare office to apply for some assistance. He was told he was entitled to nothing because of what his wife earns.

His son who lives at home has now had his hours reduced so went to the social welfare to apply for casual workers and was told his father is getting a payment so this will affect his claim.

He told them his father gets nothing and they said he should be entitled to something.

They haven't got the figures or anything sorted out yet but he's a bit peeved to be honest if he could have been getting any assistance over the last few years as things have been difficult for them all since.

I'm just wondering would he be entitled to claim back any payments from the last three years if he was indeed entitled to a payment but the office at the time told him he wasn't?

I think he's mad for just accepting no straight away but I don't think he planned on being out of work for so long and has been working all his life and never had to make a claim before so was unsure exactly how things worked.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If the dept were in error in the first place you could resonably expect them to make amends for same.Gather up all the required info and write to the dept enquiring about the matter.(try and keep all communications in writing if possible)

Advertisement