Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5.1 Bookshelf Speaker package questions

Options
  • 24-04-2013 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Moving into a new house in June and currently looking into lots of new HE purchases :) Decided on TV (Panny50ST60) and looking at A/V receivers and Speakers.

I'm thinking about this bundle, and pretty sure on the amp:

http://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/home-cinema-system-deals/pah01525

I need to go with bookshelf speakers in order to pass the Wife Approval Process. I would like a speaker set that would be equally good for music as for movies. Power/loudness isn't important really as it's a Semi-D and I'm considerate :) More important is clarity and separation. Have most of my music collection in FLAC etc. I've read reviews of the Boston Acoustics Soundware XS speakers that say it lacks midrange for music, so this doesn't sound ideal. Will this just be the case with all similar sized speakers?

I could *possibly* get away with larger front speakers but the rear satellites would definitely have to be small, I presume you can mix and match?

My budget for just speakers would stretch to about €500.

Have a few months to decide at this stage but would love if someone could give me some pointers. Up to now I've been just using an old Sony All-In-One home cinema job that cost about 150 punts about 12 years ago, so anything is going to be a step up :)

cheers!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Still have a month before I need to decide, but I'm thinking of going for 5.0 for now and picking up a sub woofer for xmas.

As per previous post, hoping to mix and match. Thinking about going Q Acoustic 2010i's or 2020i's for the fronts, Q Acoustic 2000ci for centre and then going smaller for the rear satellites, maybe the Boston Acoustics SoundWare Cube XS Satellites.

Anyone see potential issues with this setup? I guess ideally it would be better to go for the Q Acoustic 2010i's for the rear too but they're a bit big and small bookshelf sized ones would be preferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jay1912

Goolay wrote: »
    Still have a month before I need to decide, but I'm thinking of going for 5.0 for now and picking up a sub woofer for xmas.

As per previous post, hoping to mix and match. Thinking about going Q Acoustic 2010i's or 2020i's for the fronts, Q Acoustic 2000ci for centre and then going smaller for the rear satellites, maybe the Boston Acoustics SoundWare Cube XS Satellites.

Anyone see potential issues with this setup? I guess ideally it would be better to go for the Q Acoustic 2010i's for the rear too but they're a bit big and small bookshelf sized ones would be preferred.

Those bostons are very poor without the bass bin ( can never understand the good reviews. ) the w/ dale dx1 kit is very good. Full range and decent size centre

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Spinone

Hi , its Important that you get the front three matched , adding some small units from another Maker wouldnt make a huge difference .

Take a look at the Quad Lites i have for sale in adverts , just add a sub and rears and your away , i use a pair for stereo with a BK electronics XXLS400 sub , their subs are amazing and well worth checking out .. The sound of the Quads is really good .

Keep an eye on the second hand market too , speakers are easier to secure than electronics .

Thanks
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Thanks for the reply John!

I actually got sorted last month.
    Went with QAcoustic 2000i series for centre, Fronts & Sub. Monitor Radius 45HD Rears.

Sitting in boxes for a bit until we get the sitting room sorted and shelves etc built, can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Spinone

Excellent , thats a nice package , The Q acoustics are fantastic speakers , actually got a 2070 sub for my Brother and Sister and they are superb for Home cinema .. Great for Music too ..

Beware you have just entered the world of Home Cinema and Hifi - its an addiction that will cost you !!! Hide that credit card ..

Cheers and enjoy
    John

• Advertisement
Advertisement