Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loosing my job. (Maybe)

Options
  • 24-04-2013 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

My employer said I might be loosing my job as things are very slow at the moment, the dole is something new to me and I am looking for advice.
    1) is job seekers (dole) for 9 months or 12 months now ?
    2) can I work on Sundays while on the dole ?
    3) if my employer took me on again say for 3-4 months and then let me go again would I qualify for dole for a further year ? 13 week rule or something ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

1) Yes

2) You can work any day you like on JSB,however you must inform the dept.

3)Yes/perhaps

See here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

mp22 wrote: »
    1) Yes

2) You can work any day you like on JSB,however you must inform the dept.

3)Yes/perhaps

See here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit.html
    Ok is it 9 or 12 months ?
    Can I work on Sunday without informing them ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Sorry 9 months.Sunday is not counted but you should tell them.

11. I am a casual or part-time worker and I work on Sundays; how does this change affect me?

Sunday work is not counted for jobseeker's benefit. This change only affects other days of the week in which you work. In other words, if you only work on Sundays, you are getting full-rate jobseeker's benefit and will continue to do so. If you also work other days in the week, then you will be affected by this change and your weekly payment will be reduced – see the table at the end of this document for more details.

From here http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Jobseekers-benefit-_-Five-day-payment-week---Frequently-Ask.aspx

Thank you

mp22 wrote: »
    Sorry 9 months.Sunday is not counted but you should tell them.

11. I am a casual or part-time worker and I work on Sundays; how does this change affect me?

Sunday work is not counted for jobseeker's benefit. This change only affects other days of the week in which you work. In other words, if you only work on Sundays, you are getting full-rate jobseeker's benefit and will continue to do so. If you also work other days in the week, then you will be affected by this change and your weekly payment will be reduced – see the table at the end of this document for more details.

From here http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Jobseekers-benefit-_-Five-day-payment-week---Frequently-Ask.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Big Davey wrote: »
    Ok is it 9 or 12 months ?
    Can I work on Sunday without informing them ?

If Sunday work is not included you still need to let sw know that you are working on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Sunday work is counted

Jovetic wrote: »
    Sunday work is counted
    Are you sure ? I could understand if it was counted on the means tested one when your stamps run out and it's a means tested job seekers. On the standard dole non means tested I thought Sunday was not counted as its not a paid day and you are not means tested for the first 9 months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Taken from citizens information.
    Sunday work and jobseeker's payments
    From 21 February 2013 Sunday working is taken into account for Jobseeker's Benefit. You must be unemployed for 4 out of 7 consecutive days (including Sunday). If you work on Sunday you are considered to be employed for 1 day and 1/5th of your normal rate of Jobseeker's Benefit will be deducted from your weekly payment.

Even though the social welfare employment week now takes Sunday into account you are not considered unemployed for 7 days. You are considered to be unemployed for 6 days out of the 7-day social welfare employment week. This means that for each week that you are fully unemployed 6 days are deducted from the days remaining on your Jobseeker's Benefit claim.

For example a person who works 2 days a week would have 4 days deducted from the days remaining on their Jobseeker's Benefit claim.

Before 21 February Sunday was not counted as a day of employment (or of unemployment). If you worked only on Sundays you were regarded as fully unemployed and you could qualify for the full rate of Jobseeker's Benefit. Sunday was also disregarded in computing any period of consecutive days of unemployment (you had to be unemployed for 3 out of 6 consecutive days to qualify for a jobseeker's payment).

Although Sunday was not treated as a day of unemployment, employment on a Sunday was counted in establishing the normal level of employment. A loss of employment on a Sunday could therefore satisfy the "substantial loss" test for claiming Jobseeker's Benefit.

Advertisement