Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good news - JLS are splitting up

• 24-04-2013 9:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Orite, I didn't realise that JLS are celebs but here it is again

JLS are going their separate ways, just hope 1 Direction follow suit

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/22275617

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Good news:confused:

I've always been interested in those who are happy when a boy band break up and hail it as good news.
    Has the music of JLS/ other boyband really been so very offensive to someone that their break up is actually considered to be good news?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kickslate

I heard this this morning, why can bands not stay together these days? If they really are so successful why are they splitting up after only five years?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

I really liked JLS, they had some very catchy songs! One of the more decent boybands out there I reckon...sad to see them split!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

kickslate wrote: »
    I heard this this morning, why can bands not stay together these days? If they really are so successful why are they splitting up after only five years?

"Only" 5 years? I would have thought five years is a good run for a boyband these days.

Anyway, this is the case with manufactured bands. There're not really bands,they're guys who were good at singing on their own, then good at singing together and it at some point are going to want to sing sperately again.

Compare this to bands like U2 who were formed very early on in thier career and for more artistic reasons.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Comeback tour in .. 5..4...3...2..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Kinda surprised by this tbh, thought they'd try breaking the US market especially now that one of their wives is over there with her band

They always seemed like down to earth, kind and polite lads

Isn't one of them running a farm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Was surprised at this one myself. Although they do be seem to be doing their own thing lately
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Kinda surprised by this tbh, thought they'd try breaking the US market especially now that one of their wives is over there with her band

They always seemed like down to earth, kind and polite lads

Isn't one of them running a farm?

I'd say they didn't bother with breaking the US with the high level of competition they would have had from One Direction and The Wanted.

Marvin's Wife Rochelle (from The Saturdays) was over there (they are long back now) while they filmed an E! entertainment documentary show "Chasing the Sats" all about the group trying to break America, as far as I know it didn't go down to well in the US, poor ratings and their record sales weren't great.

J.B. from JLS is the one who bought the farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

Good news:confused:

I've always been interested in those who are happy when a boy band break up and hail it as good news.
    Has the music of JLS/ other boyband really been so very offensive to someone that their break up is actually considered to be good news?

Not offensive, just down right rubbish, I've seen in another thread that they were trying to break America. I know that One Direction and The Wanted have, but they are part of a very rare occasion where they have

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jacqueline Mullins

I can,t believe that jls have split up and they were my favorite boy band when they were on the x factor in 2009 with Alexandra Burke and other people who were also on the x factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

One of them was crying about it tonight on Alan Carr's talk show

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    One of them was crying about it tonight on Alan Carr's talk show

No shame to cry about being made redundant in this climate. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ah fair play to them,
    Normal enough lads I would think, got lucky, made a packet for a few years without harming anyone, made most people happy. Realised they have a short enough shelf life, get out happy in the knowledge they are well set up for life.
    Just a matter of not going down the same route as so many other boy/girl bands who broke up during the years and ended up goin broke.
    There'll be a comeback tour, no doubt when the funds begin to dwindle.

They're harmless enough, most of us would swap our problems for theirs any day, no matter what we say about their "artistry".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The producers of Dancing On Ice, Strictly Come Dancing and I'm a Celebrity must be salvating at the chance to snap these guys up....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

One of them is having a baby with Rochelle from the Saturdays afaik.

I'm sure he'll be glad of the break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

kickslate wrote: »

Boy bands are products with a shelf life. They are told when they start and when they finish by the record label. In the same way that many products are produced with planned obselesence so too are boy/girl bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭xxXCuteypieXxx

I can see Marvin and Rochelle doing a reality show along the same lines as the kardashians. Is Simon Cowell their manager? If so maybe an x factor judge slot? Probably for Aston he seems to be the leader of the band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I can see Marvin and Rochelle doing a reality show along the same lines as the kardashians. Is Simon Cowell their manager? If so maybe an x factor judge slot? Probably for Aston he seems to be the leader of the band.

Keeping up with the Kardashians to " Keeping up with Marvin and Rochelle" LOL :pac:
    That defiantly won't be happening, and if it ever did It would be a big fail.
    Rochelle already filmed a reality show with the group she's in - the Saturdays, and it didn't do to well.

Aston is currently a judge on the not so popular "Got To Dance" show on sky one.

While they where a good group and did have a good fan base their only recognized in the UK and Ireland, maybe parts of Europe so I can't see any of them doing anything major.
    like previous posters said - a possibly reality show ( Celeb big brother, I'm a celeb, etc ) and a come back tour in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

gramar wrote: »
    Boy bands are products with a shelf life. They are told when they start and when they finish by the record label. In the same way that many products are produced with planned obselesence so too are boy/girl bands.

1) Tour/Record as group for X number of years.

2) Split, solo singles/albums for X number of years.

3) Reform once 1) runs out of steam.

4) Return to 2) if 3) Generates enough interest.

5) Bonus points if you're one of the ones for whom 2) means you don't have to
    do 3) or you manage to achieve some other sort of success outside of the group.

Advertisement