Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion contortion.

Options
  • 24-04-2013 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭

Read a quote from the esteemded adopter Prof patricia casey today-"as a psychiatrist I cannot support a proposal which involves a procedure which would cause women harm". My first thought was "tell that to Savita Halappanavar". My second was "butt out you've never been there". Then there was a load of antiquated, Oirish guff about needing three(yes, fecking three)psychiatrists to qualify a woman for "needing" an abortion. Mother of the Divine holy rock of Achille, will we ever move beyond this parochial, out-dated and archaic view of womens rights? Well, will we???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

That'd be this Patricia Casey, yeah?

tl;dr

Dr. Casey was sued by someone over her handling of a patient who was considering an abortion. She settled out of court for half a million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

No doubt, this being Ireland, if the woman sees the 3 shrinks, she has a 50/50 chance of either getting rejected, or getting committed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

How is the current issue about mental health parochial?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I imagined a very strange circus act when I read the thread title...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

pmcmahon wrote: »
    How is the current issue about mental health parochial?
    If you have to ask, you'll never get it, so I'll not waste my time giving it. And if you are male, it's really none of your business to hold a strong view on what a woman can or can't do with her body. Last time I checked, you were male. Men have decided what women in Ireland can and can't do with their bodies for too long. It's time to butt out and let women, individual women, decide.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

If you have to ask, you'll never get it, so I'll not waste my time giving it. And if you are male, it's really none of your business to hold a strong view on what a woman can or can't do with her body. Last time I checked, you were male. Men have decided what women in Ireland can and can't do with their bodies for too long. It's time to butt out and let women, individual women, decide.

Well it isn't parochial here in this context as it's in fact a draft legislation against the teachings or the catholic church.

Now ponder this,a friend of mine and a young woman about two years ago happened to conceive.He was over the moon at the chance of being a father for the first time however i can't comment on her.Without his knowledge she flies to england and aborts the baby.Two years later he is still broken by what this woman did without his knowledge at the time and what he has taken away from him,not to mention the devestation of his family.

Abortion isn't only about the woman and this needs to be addressed when it comes to the whole "it's my body i'll do what i want" attitude.It takes two to tango and without the support of the two somebody is going to be destroyed.God forbid the day if walk in clinics are open in this country,however on a medical basis i totally agree with the passing of an abortion bill.

It isn't an individual choice and i won't butt out and neither should any man who has a gun put to his head by a woman determined to abort.If both support,then fair enough,if not then it's not automatically a womans choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Well said. Forcing women out of this country just so the choice to terminate their pregnancy is in their hands is appalling. Women going to England face a really hard decision and the support from their loved ones isn't there directly after an abortion which they need. The church and state should stay out of this and bring it to a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Or he may merely never have considered the argument or been presented with it, my own take on which being that the idea of a woman not being trusted with the happenings of her own body is sexist and demeaning, something I'd happily discuss with anyone curious, regardless of gender, as there's never any harm in broadening views on a subject. Even someone who views a topic as inapplicable to a section of society should see the benefit of knowledge, support and understanding on their behalf...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Your attitude quite frankly stinks OP, not the best way to win people round to your way of thinking if you want their support, and phrases like "butt out, mind your own business", etc, only display a serious lack of maturity and short sightedness on your part if you wanted people to take you seriously. Have a read of this while you're up there on your pedestal-

How to Win Friends and Influence People.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

"as a psychiatrist I cannot support a proposal which involves a procedure which would cause women harm"

I'm really struggling to see what being a psychiatrist has to do with having that opinion.
    1. Not wanting to harm women is not a position exclusive to psychiatrists.
    2. A psychiatrist is not qualified in the area of abortion, so it doesn't make the opinion any more informed.

As a software developer I think this psychiatrist is a bit of a tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Arcsin

Read a quote from the esteemded adopter Prof patricia casey today-"as a psychiatrist I cannot support a proposal which involves a procedure which would cause women harm". My first thought was "tell that to Savita Halappanavar". My second was "butt out you've never been there". Then there was a load of antiquated, Oirish guff about needing three(yes, fecking three)psychiatrists to qualify a woman for "needing" an abortion. Mother of the Divine holy rock of Achille, will we ever move beyond this parochial, out-dated and archaic view of womens rights? Well, will we???

It generally takes two people to conceive a child, a fact that will be quickly remembered if the child is born and the mother goes looking for maintenance.

To say that men don't have a vested interest in their own children is ridiculous. Aside from that an unborn child cannot speak for itself so its the duty of society (half of which is male) and the State to speak for it in any debate regarding its rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Seachmall wrote: »
    I think this psychiatrist is a bit of a tool.

Tools are useful; even bits of tools.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Your attitude quite frankly stinks OP, not the best way to win people round to your way of thinking if you want their support, and phrases like "butt out, mind your own business", etc, only display a serious lack of maturity and short sightedness on your part if you wanted people to take you seriously. Have a read of this while you're up there on your pedestal-

How to Win Friends and Influence People.

There are plenty of people out there who are absolutely fcuking sick of being patronized, of having their right to bodily integrity ignored, of being treated as if their real issues are but an academic curiosity, of being treated as if their feelings don't matter...

Sometimes a bit of anger is completely understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

And if you are male, it's really none of your business to hold a strong view on what a woman can or can't do with her body.

That's one of the worst forms of parochial thinking there is; you're not entitled to hold a strong opinion unless you have the right genitalia. Is this not the very thinking that has caused all (or most) of the religious institutions to lose their way on issues of morality? Changing the genitalia does not make matters any better.

Why not extend this logic as follows: If you're a woman, you're not entitled to hold a view on same sex marriage between men! If you're a woman, you cannot have any view on the problem of young men committing suicide!

The flaw in the thinking seems pretty apparent when it's spelled out like this doesn't it? (I'm not claiming any gifted insight here, these arguments are as old as time).

Divisions of this kind only serve to dilute the available wisdom in a debate, and result in increasingly immoral and bigoted thinking.

As for Prof Casey's peculiar quote; she's entitled to her opinion, just as we are entitled to expect such opinions will not form the basis of legislation given that her view has not addressed all of the issues at stake. I cannot vilify her for what she believes. In itself, her statement could be seen as reasonable. If it is an accurate expression of why she opposes legislating for abortion then she has not grasped the complexity of the problem.

Z

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

A quick search of After Hours will bring up many threads dealing with abortion.

We don't need another one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement