Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to work pregnant?

Options
  • 23-04-2013 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all, just wondering if someone can please shed some light on this for me. My wife who works in the hse is currently on her maternity leave. She has finished her 6 months paid maternity leave and has just commenced her 4 months unpaid leave entitlement. She will hopefully also be taking 3 months parental leave after the unpaid maternity leave. We are hoping to try for another baby in the next couple of months. This means by the time she is due to return to work she could be around 4 or 5 months pregnant (all going to plan!). Does anyone know if the hse will pay another 6 months full paid maternity leave if she will only be back working for 2 months or so before having to go on maternity leave again? Is there a fixed amount of time she needs to be back working before she is entitled to full paid mat leave again? She has a permanent position and has been working in the hse for 10 years or so. Any info greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Woodie321 wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering if someone can please shed some light on this for me. My wife who works in the hse is currently on her maternity leave. She has finished her 6 months paid maternity leave and has just commenced her 4 months unpaid leave entitlement. She will hopefully also be taking 3 months parental leave after the unpaid maternity leave. We are hoping to try for another baby in the next couple of months. This means by the time she is due to return to work she could be around 4 or 5 months pregnant (all going to plan!). Does anyone know if the hse will pay another 6 months full paid maternity leave if she will only be back working for 2 months or so before having to go on maternity leave again? Is there a fixed amount of time she needs to be back working before she is entitled to full paid mat leave again? She has a permanent position and has been working in the hse for 10 years or so. Any info greatly appreciated.

I work for the HSE, and I think that you do have to be back at work for a certain length of time before you can go on leave again, but I'm not sure how long it is - she'd be best to check with her HR dept before you start trying, as she could be left out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Woodie321

nikpmup wrote: »
    I work for the HSE, and I think that you do have to be back at work for a certain length of time before you can go on leave again, but I'm not sure how long it is - she'd be best to check with her HR dept before you start trying, as she could be left out of pocket.

Thanks for reply. Yes she is going to consult her hr department in the next couple of weeks. I just thought I'd Come and see if I could find out anything in the meantime. If anyone else has been in this situation or knows the facts or hospital policy would greatly appreciate any more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭intothewest

I was back at work 3mths before I went on maternity again, but I am private sector. 2nd wasn’t planned, so hadn’t even thought they may not cover the 2nd maternity, but I suppose I’d have heard about it if there was. I know a hospital in Galway has it in their contracts that you have to be working there two years before you can go on maternity. I suppose with a predominantly female workforce they have to cover all bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

I know a hospital in Galway has it in their contracts that you have to be working there two years before you can go on maternity. I suppose with a predominantly female workforce they have to cover all bases.

That is illegal. All women, irrespective of the length of service are entitled to maternity leave. It may be that the contract specifies you must be 2 years workig to get paid maternity leave? But they have no legal right to say you can't get pregnant and take maternity leave unless you have worked there 2 years! they would be annihilated in a employment tribunal if they did that!
    If you become pregnant while in employment, you are entitled to take maternity leave. The entitlement to a basic period of maternity leave from employment extends to all female employees (including casual workers), regardless of how long you have been working for the organisation or the number of hours worked per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

From what I remember entitlement to mat benefit is calculated using previous yr p60. So she will be ok.
    But ring citizens advice they will have all the entitlement data to hand.
    Best of luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement