Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ball cock valve in water tank

Options
  • 23-04-2013 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Me again!! My water tank is overflowing. I have looked at the valve and it seems to be covered in limescale, so I am thinking that I will need to have it replaced.

Is this a DIY job, i.e. unscrew the old one and screw a new one back on, of course turning the water off first. Of is there sealant needed to stop it leaking back? If an easy 20 - 30 minute job I would give it a go, but if there is a chance of flooding the house I would prefer to get some one in, any idea of a rough cost on that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Me again!! My water tank is overflowing. I have looked at the valve and it seems to be covered in limescale, so I am thinking that I will need to have it replaced.

Is this a DIY job, i.e. unscrew the old one and screw a new one back on, of course turning the water off first. Of is there sealant needed to stop it leaking back? If an easy 20 - 30 minute job I would give it a go, but if there is a chance of flooding the house I would prefer to get some one in, any idea of a rough cost on that?
    If your not confident I wouldn't recommend changing it yourself. New ballcock is worth 5 euro. If the mains shut off valve is easily accessed the whole job should be more than 50 euro max

Advertisement