Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silver lining stories.

Options
  • 23-04-2013 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭

A few years back my leg was in a cast that I couldn't put weight on due to complications - the foot had to point down to allow healing. Unfortunately I lived at the top of three flights of stairs so getting up and down them in crutches was heartbreaking stuff. I cursed my way up and down them breaking out in sweats etc.

Anyhoo, the time came for the cast to be removed and my calf muscle was severely weakened from atrophy - I had to do rehabilitative exercises to build it back up. Guess what? Those stairs that broke my heart now became my 6 to 8 times daily workout to build the muscles back up. 6 to 8 times a day I used the steps to build the muscle up by leading with the weak leg and drawing the strong one level to it, rinse, repeat. Sure I was grand again in no time and I had those hated stairs to thank for helping me get there.

Tell me a silver lining story.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Tinfoil in the baking tray saves washing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

kneemos wrote: »
    Tinfoil in the baking tray saves washing it.

That's aloominum, not silver. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

I turned down a €30,000+ voluntary redundancy package at my last job because I was hoping to get a traineeship position there. Then I realised I didn't want to work in that area at all and left a year later.

But, if I had taken that €30,000+, I would probably be dead now after a few months of decadent living.

Not bitter. Not bitter at all.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

We are living in a period of intense worldwide recession but then again Bill Cullen went bust and no longer preaches on TV.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Got made redundant in October of 2011. Went on holidays in December 2011 to meet a friend living in Malta. Got an interview while there. Moved in January of 2012.

Getting made redundant was one of the best things to happen to me in my entire life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

And although I didn't know where they were looking to go, I gave them directions anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Pinewoo

I have no money. My bank account is completely empty, meaning anyone who skims my ATM card/PIN can't actually steal any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

I was made redundant last year, after eight fantastic years, in the best job I've ever had, and, although it made me sad to leave, I'm quite pleased it happened. I needed to move on, but I knew I'd never leave of my own accord. It's been really good to kick start my life again - it had become quite stagnant, and needed a jolt. The jolt arrived and it's been good, very freeing.

I feel alive again; that's my silver lining. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Pinewoo wrote: »
    I have no money. My bank account is completely empty, meaning anyone who skims my ATM card/PIN can't actually steal any money.

I hear ya. I can leave my windows open when I'm out which lets in lots of fresh air...

Because any potential burglars would feel so sorry for me that they'd leave a few things behind.

Advertisement