Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would Ireland be like now without the E.U. ?

Options
  • 23-04-2013 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

What would Ireland be like if we had never joined the E.U? I wonder if we would even have motorways. What do ye think? Would we have been better off if we never joined?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 85 ✭✭Fr_Fitzexactly

Thatched cottages, dirt paths, canal boats, all our own local produced stuff and very few foreign brands and a lad going down the village on a horse and trap while posting on boards with his iPhone 5

Edit: Feck it, and the most important thing, feck all regulation. People would still be able to get stuff done without having to deal with tons of red tape. It would be pure bliss

Posted from my iPhone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

A big patch of grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

I shudder to think. The EU has dragged this country kicking and screaming into the 21st century in many ways and still is, thankfully.

• Site Banned Posts: 85 ✭✭Fr_Fitzexactly

jaja321 wrote: »
    I shudder to think. The EU has dragged this country kicking and screaming into the 21st century in many ways and still is, thankfully.

The 21st century is a load of sh1t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Ok then, lets party like it's 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,095 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Achill isalnd, but bigger.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Think North Korea, but with less democracy, wealth and food.

And if you leave out food, we're not far off North Korea now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Autonomous

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Poland circa 2003.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Posted from my iPhone 5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

It would be Irland, there is no "u" in it

jaja321 wrote: »

True. The EU isn't the problem but the blatant idiots we continue to vote in who squander EU money left right and centre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

The EC would be a lot better off if they had not thrown all that money at us over the past 40 years. They should have kept their money and fancy cars for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Better off. Immeasurably so no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The Catholic Church would still be ruling Ireland.

Gardai would deal with most offences by young hooligans with a good kick in the arse.

Family would still be sending stuff like soap and socks and modern day stuff like that back from America.

Young lads would be leaving school at 16 to do ANCO courses.

Everyone would go to Sunday mass and daren't miss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

CJC999 wrote: »
    The Catholic Church would still be ruling Ireland.

Gardai would deal with most offences by young hooligans with a good kick in the arse.

Family would still be sending stuff like soap and socks and modern day stuff like that back from America.

Young lads would be leaving school at 16 to do ANCO courses.

Everyone would go to Sunday mass and daren't miss it.
    Doubtful. It was "hadn't joined the EU", not "hadn't joined the 21st century".

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭stretchdoe

I think we'd probably be 'upside, inside out', as outlined by Prof. Ricky Martin in his 1972 essay 'Livin' La Vida Loca: Why Ireland shouldn't join the EEC'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Most places would probably look like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭stretchdoe

Sarky wrote: »
    Most places would probably look like this.

Quaint?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Women would still have to leave the public service upon marriage, so single income households would still be common so the economy would not have overheated and we'd not be in a flatlined economy. Damn you EEC! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Sure didn't the EU fill in all the potholes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Either way we'd be tied to the E.C.C and most likely be spending sterling.In fact we probably would've been british again.

Advertisement