Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

calls

Options
  • 23-04-2013 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭

also when did we decide to call a phone call a phone call weird when you think about it..

nature programme..

"and here we have the human, practicing his phone call, still unsuccesfull, he should take a listen to the song birds phone mating call and improve his technique"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Cleverly disguised "I got a new iPhone" thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I use the term "mobile, electronic, wireless conversation"...........weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

KAKAWW KAKAWW.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

IM0 wrote: »
    also when did we decide to call a phone call a phone call weird when you think about it..

nature programme..

"and here we have the human, practicing his phone call, still unsuccesfull, he should take a listen to the song birds phone mating call and improve his technique"

I feel like I've walked into some comedy routine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

weird when you think about it..

Is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I feel like I've walked into some comedy routine.

you callin me a clown? do I look like a fookin clown.....am I fookin funny to you? huh? come on ya..

classic scene :D

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Is it?

yeah a call in nature is like a erm....a mating call, but a phone call, is nothing like a mating call, odd! language is weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I think it's called 'Reaching Out' these days. Ugh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

yeah a call in nature is like a erm....a mating call, but a phone call, is nothing like a mating call, odd! language is weird!

Speak for yourself :D

But yes, language is weird. Sure "cars" were horse drawn carriages a few decades ago and now we use it for automobiles.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Speak for yourself :D

But yes, language is weird. Sure "cars" were horse drawn carriages a few decades ago and now we use it for automobiles.

yeah but that one makes sense! bad example.. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

What else would you call them? Phone-...err..umm...ahh..talks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

I would hazard a guess and say it comes the noise the telephone makes could be named a call. It calls for you and your attention, much like someone from a distance trying to get your attention would call for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

Not weird at all, it just came from 'calling into someone' like a house call. A call being some form of communication (and what Procrasinator said).

...and why did we decide to call call girls call girls before there were phones? (am I doing this right)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

but think about it, mating calls are often "talking" to another, announcing their presence,

phone call, you're announcing your presence to the one you're calling.

__
    but you could ask this with pretty much every single word out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

And to make a phone call you have to dial. . .:confused:

Advertisement