Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MRI scan value in Galway.

Options
  • 23-04-2013 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hello folks, I have a major exacerbation of pain in my lumber spine for the last ten days and have been pretty much bed riddin for the past three. I was through A and E last week and after an xray was told to feck off home and take pain meds.

This is the second major exacerbation of this pain in the past 18 months. Last time I was out of action for upwards of 6 weeks with it. Unfortunately as I am a medical card holder and do not have medical insurance, the GP`s cannot refer me (public patient) for an MRI scan, although the GP did say today, it would rule a lot of things out or in were I to have one. Apparently the only way to get an MRI, is to be referred to a consultant and then for him to make the decision, which we all know in this country, could take up to a year or even longer.

I could possibly gather the money to pay privately and have today rang merlin park and the galway clinic, was quoted 195 and 295 respectively. The prices are high. Is there anywhere else i could avail of one at a more reasonable price either in Galway or or surrounding connaught counties does anyone know?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Your GP can request an MRI, I have no idea why they would say they can't?

They can request any test, it might take a while but you will get it done.

You can have your GP refer you to the M.A.U. (medical Assessment Unit) in UCHG, which means you'd bypass the A&E dept and be delt with a lot quicker, they will admit you, do an examination and then decide what tests are needed. Odda are they will do a CT and Xray first and if nothing is found will refer you for an MRI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Seaneh wrote: »

You can have your GP refer you to the M.A.U. (medical Assessment Unit) in UCHG, which means you'd bypass the A&E dept and be delt with a lot quicker, they will admit you, do an examination and then decide what tests are needed. Odda are they will do a CT and Xray first and if nothing is found will refer you for an MRI.

+1 on that your GP can certainly refer you. I have been referred twice. I not sure whether it makes any difference being private or public. If i were you i wld ring the bons secours & the galway clinic to check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Seaneh wrote: »

As mentioned I was through the A and E system last week, where an Xray was preformed and was told to go home. Then when i spoke to my GP today, she said she would recommend an MRI as per my symptoms, location of pain, but that she would need to refer me through a consultant and that would take significant time...

JillyQ wrote: »
    +1 on that your GP can certainly refer you. I have been referred twice. I not sure whether it makes any difference being private or public. If i were you i wld ring the bons secours & the galway clinic to check it.

Were you referred with private medical insurance or as a medical card holder? She indicated to me, it was because I was a medical card holder that she could not refer me directly ??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

subscriber wrote: »
    I could possibly gather the money to pay privately and have today rang merlin park and the galway clinic, was quoted 195 and 295 respectively. The prices are high.
    To be honest that doesn't sound like a huge amount for what you're getting. MRIs are expensive for both the machine and staff needed to operate it. I doubt you'll find anything too much better than €195 but the difference of €100 is a big one.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    To be honest that doesn't sound like a huge amount for what you're getting. MRIs are expensive for both the machine and staff needed to operate it. I doubt you'll find anything too much better than €195 but the difference of €100 is a big one.

I suppose "value" was the incorrect word to use in the title of the thread, Its not that its "value" per say I am looking for.. An MRI here will be the same as an MRI there. Its just less expensive I am after as would struggle to cover the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

From Galway city A health/medical issue rather than local issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Going to have to close this as we don't allow recommendations.

I would add that some of the suggestions/order of investigations for back pain mentioned above potentially dubious.

There are limited MRI facilities in Connaught, it might be worth phoning them to see whether they'll take GP referrals. It's also worth remembering that, unfortunately, even though you may be able to tell what the problem is from an MRI, there may or may not be a solution to your satisfaction.

Happy to discuss via PM or move to another forum if the OP wishes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement