Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New UCD Society

Options
  • 23-04-2013 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

What would you have to do to successfully apply to start a new society in UCD? I have heard that UCD is not currently approving of any new societies but there was a new society formed recently anyway so any info on how to go about it would be helpful, thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I think there's a moratorium on new societies at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Think that moratorium has been lifted. It probably should be at this stage, it's been down for like 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Afaik Japanese society started 2 years ago as an unofficial society (didn't get funding from UCD) but this year they did become and official society. I think they needed 100 signatures or something to that effect and the year of events beforehand probably helped.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ucdjsoc/?fref=ts

There's also drawsoc which I think just became official as per their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/312772658774811/?fref=ts

These 2 societies will probably have some info for you. Then there is Aifric Nugent who's the head of the societies council (usually find her at the new student center front desk and the elusive Richard Butler who is the societies officer afaik, his new office is near the belfield fm pod in the new student center.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Crow92 wrote: »
    These 2 societies will probably have some info for you. Then there is Aifric Nugent who's the head of the societies council (usually find her at the new student center front desk and the elusive Richard Butler who is the societies officer afaik, his new office is near the belfield fm pod in the new student center.

Try and get onto Afric for info, Butler is rarely helpful...

Fad wrote: »
    Try and get onto Afric for info, Butler is rarely helpful...

Butler is NEVER helpful! A bit cruel perhaps, but it's my experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I've had good experiences with him when I've actually found him, just straight talking but I've failed to find him for the last 2 weeks about a grant and never replies to emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Crow92 wrote: »
    I've had good experiences with him when I've actually found him, just straight talking but I've failed to find him for the last 2 weeks about a grant and never replies to emails.

I'd imagine he was too busy printing money to make the lipdub happen...

How did the LipDub go in the end? I don't imagine the last day of term was the best time to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kilrush

Lipdub was decent ! There was actually a lot more people at it than i thought would be but they might have all left after lunch like i did ! Not looking forward to seeing the end product though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 27 millser19

Hey,

I'm wondering about the process involved in setting up a new society in UCD these days? I notice there was a thread about this before but its dated a few years back but in case the process has changed since then, it would be nice to get the thoughts of someone who has gone through it before or who is involved in a society still active today.

Appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

As I said in Motors millser, send me a PM.

I'll post up here when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 millser19

Sent, thanks for that.

Any word on how to close the other thread? As you can tell I dont use this much. .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I closed the other thread in Motors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I merged this thread into the other one on the topic that was started last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Starting a society is SUCH fun. Not. Helped set up the fashion and design society a few years ago and it goes like this, as far as I remember.

-Get the application form
    -Get 100 or so signatures
    -give them in
    -make a presentation and hope you're chosen
    -deal with not getting funding for 2 years

Takes a-l-o-t of work. Don't be too ambitious in your 1st year too, just concentrate on membership and society building.

Advertisement