Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Frame Questions

Options
  • 23-04-2013 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all.

My girlfriend's birthday is coming up and I'm getting her a print of a photo she loves by a Dublin based photographer.

I'm going to order the print off him, but due to cost / budget I'm going to sort out the frame separately as his are very expensive.

The photo is a landscape one - the size I want to get is 28" x 17" or 23" x 16", I'm not sure which as I'm waiting to hear which size is correct. The price for the print alone is €120.

Can anyone help me source a plain black frame that will fit the above dimensions and hopefully not break the bank?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

depends what break the bank means

what i will say is chances are you will need a custom frame, those sizes are not off the shelf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

have you had a look in ikea ? get a much larger frame and mounting board and cut the mounting board to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Just confirmed it's 23" x 16", which is A2 size.

Does that help?

actually a2 is 16.54 × 23.39

is that the paper size or the image size

most printers dont print to the edge of the paper, so you will need a mount cut if nothing else

ideally you wont a decent amount of mount around a print that big to make it look right

also another thing to be aware of is if you have spent 120 on the print ideally you want UV protective glass to help slow down fading

23 x 16 is the size of the print.

Sorry for my cluelessness, I'm absolutely lost with this as the girlfriend is the one who would usually sort these things!

I hope it's not too forward, but could you (or anyone) post up some links to suitable frames to buy?

• Advertisement

well not ment to do commercial posts but you can see from my signature i make frames.

go into a framers shop, yes it will cost more than a mass produced thing in a home decor shop. but it will be right, it will be good, etc

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

The price for the print alone is €120.

Can anyone help me source a plain black frame that will fit the above dimensions and hopefully not break the bank?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated :)

If you've already spent that much on the print, then don't skimp on the frame and mount. Give it to someone like stcstc who will do a really good job on it. A large print like that will need to be dry mounted onto backing board so that it doesn't end up going wavy over time.

I should've updated this :)

I ended up asking the photographer to do the mounting and framing, and it came out fantastic :) The girlfriend loved it.

The photographer himself is Bryan Hanna, he's amazing. Thought I'd give him a wee plug here, his site is at http://www.bryanhanna.com/

Advertisement