Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos 3 piece bedroom furniture set €89.97

Options
  • 23-04-2013 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭

Buy the Venetia bedside chest, 3 drawer chest and 2 door wardrobe and get €48 off. Offer ends 26 July 2013.

The three pieces are all on offer so if you get the three, you get another €48 off which gives a total of €89.97 for the lot. Seems a great price and reviews are good. I know its not solid wood but for a bedroom it should be fine.

Wenge

White

Beech effect

Pine effect

84-6303457A75UC910089X.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Great offer, anyone know of the quality of these? for that price cant go wrong really.

When Argos opened in Drogheda a couple of years back, I practically re-decorated the house with their stuff (it was so well-priced, who could argue).

Unfortunately, it's all sh*te, and none of it is in the house anymore. A wardrobe was the piece that lasted longest (think we got 2 years out of it). That said, the clothes hanging bar in the centre snapped under the weight of the clothes (which wasn't very heavy) after about 3-4 months, so it spent most of it's time as a storage chest of sorts. Everything else started sagging and going lopsided fairly early on.

If you decorate your house like the Argos catalogue (where the heaviest thing you own is a table lamp) and you go really, really easy and treat these items delicately, I'm sure you'd get a good while out of them, and for the money, you wouldn't really go wrong. However, if you're looking for something that'll last I'd say you'd be better off going to dedicated furniture shops.

That's just all in my own opinion, though. I'm sure other people will have had different experiences than me. It just seems that 'buy cheap, buy twice' applies here, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

Cant seem to get the price you quoted.... This is what I am getting, seems I missed the boat

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Agree with KKV, had similar problems with a bookshelf, a wardrobe and a drawer set. The bookself snapped down the middle, the items on it weren't even heavy, and the drawer is incredibly soft, there was a lot of chips in the wood after a few months. The bar also snapped like KKV's on the wardrobe.

My advice to anyone is buy some better quality stuff elsewhere, you get what you pay really does apply in argos

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

fifi28 wrote: »
    Cant seem to get the price you quoted.... This is what I am getting, seems I missed the boat

Count yourself lucky.

That stuff is so flimsey is unreal.

Go up to Homebase and have a look at the wardrobe up there,exact same as that one in the Argos link.You will see how flimsey it really is.

Argos and Homebase are owned by a larger company and they both sell the same products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

paddy147 wrote: »
    Count yourself lucky.

That stuff is so flimsey is unreal.

Go up to Homebase and have a look at the wardrobe up there,exact same as that one in the Argos link.You will see how flimsey it really is.

Argos and Homebase are owned by a larger company and they both sell the same products.

Thanks for the advice but have actually got stuff from there before and its served its purpose fine. Have 2 chest of drawers in my kids room and they are still in perfect condition.
    Dont really need the above set but was going to pick it up for my little girl's room while its on offer but it doesnt work out as cheap as the op said - im only getting 1 x €48 reduction so total price works out at €147 - still not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭kline64

I can't seem to get the price the same either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I agree with the previous posters about the quality of Argos furniture, but isn't all self-assembly flat pack furniture similar? and it usually costs a lot more. I have an Argos bookcase I bought years ago, still look good. its not top of the range, but holds books and does the job.

So I think if you want self assembly flat pack furniture, then this is a good deal, you'll pay a lot more for similar stuff elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

kline64 wrote: »
    I can't seem to get the price the same either :(

Looks like they have removed the sale price from each item and you just get the discount if you buy the 3. Someone from argos must be watching! Feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cs5

Oracle wrote: »
    but isn't all self-assembly flat pack furniture similar?

I think Ikea's is far better quality to be honest. Argos furniture is rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Agreed. Most of my Argos cheap buys have been replaced with Ikea furniture in recent years and I could not be happier.

Agreed. Most of my Argos cheap buys have been replaced with Ikea furniture in recent years and I could not be happier.

Ikea for the win.

10 year garantee and so many interchangable/internal parts too.

You can custom build to suit your own needs.

Brillliant.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Not for any where near €90 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

cs5 wrote: »
    I think Ikea's is far better quality to be honest. Argos furniture is rubbish.

Ikea stuff is about 2.5mm thicker, more dense and the edge banding is twice the thickness is makes a big difference.

The key with the argos stuff is to glue all the joints especially drawer bottoms and cupboard/wardrobe backs as thats what provides dimensional stability. We have some argos lockers and a wardrobe our friend was throwing out that were as wobbly as a soggy cardboard box but once reassembled with proper wood glue they're very solid. Edge banding it the main issue then.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Argos stuff is worse than sh#te. I would take that for the delivery fee, never mind the 90euro. And I am speaking from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

OK - in defence of Argos...

We have versions of these, and they are all in perfect condition still & they have a lot of clothes in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Is Ikea stuff really much better? Better or not, it's far more expensive, and I couldn't bear schlepping around a massive suburban warehouse for hours getting it.

Is Ikea stuff really much better? Better or not, it's far more expensive, and I couldn't bear schlepping around a massive suburban warehouse for hours getting it.

Yes it is...I wrote a review on it about a year ago.

Its good quality and so many parts that you can add on in a matter of minutes too.

You can customize without having to spend a fortune.:)

All the furniture,parts and pieces are downstairs in their well layed out warehouse.

Get your part numbers off their website.
    Go into Ikea with parts number list.
    Go to one of their many computer stations,put in the part numbers.

The computer system will tell you which aisle number and shelf number to go to.

Go there,get the parts,and then go and pay for them.

Very simple process indeed.:)

PS-Go there on a school day or in the morning time,when its much quieter and easier to walk around and have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yes much better. The quality if the wood is a much higher grade as is the finish and build quality . You don't become that big and successful selling poor quality

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ikea all the way my house is full of it and its just best for quality and value. I have a kitchen, sliding wardrobe bed, numerous cabinets and storage units and the best ever €3.49 red lack table which in five years ive stood on and sat on and still is immaculate.

thank god I live in Cork not Dublin or I'd be there every week! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Also agree with KKV, have had a few cheap bits of furniture from Argos in the past. All of it absolute tat.

Spend the few extra quid in the likes of IKEA - still not 100% solid wood by any degree but much better than Argos' uniquely **** brand of veneered chipboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭josip

All the Argos furniture we've bought has had veneered edges everywhere which doesn't stand up to any knocks. Most Ikea furniture we've got, and we've bought a lot, have either 1 or 2 mm ABS (wiki Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) on the edges likely to get punishment. You can't compare the 2. The glossy wrapped stuff obviously don't have ABS, but we've experienced no problems with those either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

+1
    sdeire wrote: »
    Also agree with KKV, have had a few cheap bits of furniture from Argos in the past. All of it absolute tat.

Spend the few extra quid in the likes of IKEA - still not 100% solid wood by any degree but much better than Argos' uniquely **** brand of veneered chipboard.

Advertisement