Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords house now managed by bank - Help!

Options
  • 23-04-2013 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey hey,

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I was recently informed by our handy man who was previously employed by our landlord that our house, along with our landlords accounts, have been taken over by the bank. We have a few repair issues in the house (leak in the bathroom which is destroying the kitchen ceiling below, not to mention the washing machine and dryer being crazy, and our gas boiler needs attention) and obviously we'd like to get them fixed. When I rang our handy man, it was the first we'd heard about the house being taken over. He promptly and kindly told us that he couldn't fix anything because the banks had to clear it first. Also that we should talk to the lady that manages the house on behalf of the landlord as she is now also apparently managing the properties at request of the bank.

I contacted her by e-mail and told her our situation and she said that she would email the bank to try and get the money to be paid into her accounts so she could release money for repairs. However she says she emailed them about this about 2 months ago. We never got anything in writing explaining the situation and we wouldn't know about it at all only for we need repairs.

What should I do? I've emailed her again but there's been no response and now I'm wondering should I just get onto the bank directly myself.

On a sidenote: We've been in the house for nearly three years, never had any issues or complaints and we keep the house in good order, even so far as to paint outside walls ourselves. We only ever sign a lease from September - May and then the rent drops for the summer and goes back up again in September. How do we approach not having a lease for the summer months while also keeping the slightly lower rent for this time too? I really don't know what to think.

I know banks take their time dealing with these issues, I just wonder should I be the one trying to make contact with them without using the middle man. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Contact Threshold, they are a free service for renters. They will be bast able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 elephante2002

Just got on to Threshold, they seem more confused than me! They've to get back to me but so far they find it very strange that we haven't received any notification from a receiver that anything like this has happened, even more so that we're still paying into the original landlords account - which apparently isn't what generally happens at all, at all. My next move is to get onto the middleman, or woman in this case and see if she's gotten the deed of appointment from the receiver. This is all getting very convoluted. Tried to ask his bank if he's in receivership but they can't tell me anything because of data protection - that's understandable. I'm now even more confused than I was.

Has anyone else had problems like this with landlords going into receivership?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Would you with hold your rent and wait for them to call you. Then refuse to pay till its done.

Advertisement