Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended reading on the History of Ireland?

Options
  • 22-04-2013 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi I know that there are several books on the history of Ireland but what would
    be the recommendable ones. In college for us it was R. F. Foster's The Oxford Illustrated History of Ireland.

I know there is another book called the Conscise History of Ireland. I want to find books for friend who have just started in the heritage and tourism industry and another who isn't Irish but wants to know more about Irish history.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

There is a book called The Course of Irish History by TW Moody. It is a good starting point for someone just getting into Irish history and is easily read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

be the recommendable ones. In college for us it was R. F. Foster's The Oxford Illustrated History of Ireland.

I know there is another book called the Conscise History of Ireland. I want to find books for friend who have just started in the heritage and tourism industry and another who isn't Irish but wants to know more about Irish history.

the recently published "A History of Ireland in 100 objects" is a different way to navigate through the island's history - especially for someone involved in tourism and heritage.

Also, i may get panned for this, but I always like Robert Kee's "Ireland: A History."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Jesus Wept.

Which college is that?

Seems all of them have rotten history depts if books like that are recommended or core texts rather than curiosities on reading lists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The UCC Multitext pages are a useful point of reference. They come across as very fair and balanced. They only start in the 15th century though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I am by no means a history buff, but I wanted to brush up on my Irish history, and found The Story of Ireland by Neil hegarty to do the trick. It managed ti skim across the relevant parts of Irish history, well written without getting bogged down. This went from the first arrival of settlers right through to the modern era. Hegarty has written well, if not sllllllightly biased towards nationalism/Catholics at times

• Advertisement
Advertisement