Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digging for Soul and Disco Records

Options
  • 22-04-2013 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Does anybody know of anywhere good to go crate digging for interesting soul and disco records? Galway would be best but any info at all would be great. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

How you doing DB? Welcome to the soul and funk thread.
    I don't really know about the rest of the country but in Dublin I found R.A.G.E. records on Fade St., Spindizzy in George's Arcade and All City in Temple Bar.

Having said that you might be pleasantly surprised what soul and disco you might find in any of the countless second hand and charity shops. I've found a good few gems in these places.

The good thing at the moment is that disco records are fairly plentiful as it (disco) was huge when it first came out and for a few years but then suddenly became very unpopular with the masses. To this day there is still a feeling of cheesyness with most people when you say 'Disco' but the fact is there is some seriously amazing disco to be had.

For sure there is a tom of cheese that is labeled as Disco but as with most genres of music there are all shades of quality from Solid Gold to complete toilet.

Anyway good luck in your disco quest. Any please keep us updated here with any funky finds you happen across. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Thanks for the reply iamstop. I'm planning on going digging in Galway this weekend so hopefully I'll stumble across something interesting! I've gotten really into disco recently after taking a step back from Chicago and Detroit house, this forum looks good so I plan on sticking around!

Do you have any general recommendations for tracks or even what to look for when shopping for disco and soul?

If you don't really know many or any disco bands and artists then I would say look out for disco 12"s. Once that are obviously disco. They will usually say 'Disco' somewhere on the sleeve. Usually prominently. The more you dig the more you'll get to know what to look for.
    Also, look out for the Sal Soul label. Those are usually worth picking up.
    After that read the song titles and look at the year. If is says 'dance', boogie', 'groove' and things like that and it's pre 1980 is is usually disco, after 1980 is usually more on the Boogie (genre) side of things with more synth drums and keyboards etc. Depends what you want really. I used to not really be into the 80 and later stuff but I've come around and grown to like it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Galway - Bell, Book and Candle has plenty vinyl but lots of chud.

The charity shops there are rubbish. Only one of them had records the last time I checked (about six months ago).

Not sure what the boot sale situation is like there.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Cool thanks for all the advice folks. Hopefully I come across something decent on Saturday!

Galway could do with a record store, especially seeing as the club scene here is slowly improving. But I'd imagine they are not the most economically sensible business decision!

• Advertisement

Advertisement