Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magic hazzard lights

Options
  • 22-04-2013 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭

On my way to work today I saw cars with magic abilities. They switch on their hazard light and then they can do anything they like. Doing a U turn over solid white line in the middle of rush hour, no worries switch on your hazard lights and you are fine.

Want to get into the flow of traffic after driving down the bus lane, press the magic button and people let you in.

Stop anywhere you want stopping traffic no problem hazard lights let you do that too.

What is with drivers doing this and more importantly others happy with it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I have also noticed recently that more and more drivers think they have magic hazard lights that excuse them acting like complete assholes. One of the things that really annoys me when driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

duh op, turning on your hazards automatically transforms your car into an emergency services vehicle that can do whatever the hell it likes, everyone knows that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Yeah they also allow you to park wherever you want, apparently! Crazy stuff.

Also, since when did the lanes into roundabouts become a "whichever one you fancy" type system?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

It's the gobshítes who let them in that are worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

They're not as bad as the idiots who think they can change lanes at any point just because they've indicated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

13spanner wrote: »
    ......since when did the lanes into roundabouts become a "whichever one you fancy" type system?

This is a serious peeve of mine!

Definitely makes my top list of driving annoyances along with not using indicators and people that refuse to pull into the outside lane when you are trying to filter on to a motorway.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They're not as bad as the idiots who think they can change lanes at any point just because they've indicated.

Ah yes - Indicators , The "Ready or Not, Here I come" lever !!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Jeez, you give out when I don't use my indicators, you give our when I use both at the same time. I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

They have a higher social status, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

At least they're warning you that they're a hazard, which is nice. They should just keep them on all the time, though, so we know who the halfwits are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    On my way to work today I saw cars with magic abilities. They switch on their hazard light and then they can do anything they like. Doing a U turn over solid white line in the middle of rush hour, no worries switch on your hazard lights and you are fine.

Want to get into the flow of traffic after driving down the bus lane, press the magic button and people let you in.

Stop anywhere you want stopping traffic no problem hazard lights let you do that too.

What is with drivers doing this and more importantly others happy with it?

Taxis have been using this trick for years!
    Taxi man wrote:
    Oh im stopped in a bus lane causing buses to do a last minute swerve, which in turn is causing a huge tail back?
    Ill just put on my hazards.
    <Click>

There, perfect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Saw a lad doing 100mph+ on the motorway once with his flashers on. Must've been an emergency, the overtaking lane just emptied out in front of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

Drive past any of the primary schools in my area and you'll see these magic hazards. Stop right outside the gate (on a main road through a village), on goes the hazards. Operation Get To School starts, both doors open (usually blocking oncoming traffic too) about 10 kids jump out and just run across the road. The kids must think they must have hazards on their bags or something. Then I get stuck at the lollipop lady by the car park where the car should have pulled in. And the parent decides to do a u-turn in the middle of the traffic. Grr...
    /rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭cson

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Ah yes - Indicators , The "Ready or Not, Here I come" lever !!

I was under the impression indicators were an optional extra on 90% of cars on our roads.

I rarely see them used anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I thought the thread was about The Dukes of Hazzard, I have been brought here under false pretense..

So I'm leaving ....

cson wrote: »
    I was under the impression indicators were an optional extra on 90% of cars on our roads.

A lot of the time I reckon they just catch the indicator stalk with their sleeve or something as they swing the steering wheel hard over to make that last second lane change or exit. They certainly don't turn on in any timescale that could be considered "indication"!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

I'll only use the indicators if I've never been to that place before. Once it's christened I know where I'm going the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

lol it is not as bad as the idiot that keeps changing lanes to try get ahead quicker than everyone else only to find when they get there the lane is moving slower and so they move back into the first lane again.

its people like these that cause accidents and tailbacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

MarkR wrote: »
    Jeez, you give out when I don't use my indicators, you give our when I use both at the same time. I dunno.
    Indicators signal an intention to turn etc, they do not confer right of way. It is your responsibility to ensure you are not obstructing the flow of traffic, or moving when it is unsafe to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

cson wrote: »

They're 100% optional in fact, no legal obligation to use them whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

They're 100% optional in fact, no legal obligation to use them whatsoever.
    There is in a driving test.

Advertisement