Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching for a short story

Options
  • 22-04-2013 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭

Perhaps a slightly unusual request... I'm trying to trace a short ghost story set in the old west that I read many years ago.

From very sketchy memory: the narrator hides from hostile indians in a cave and finds himelf in the company of four other men who are doing likewise. The men introduce themselves by name and they converse for a while. Eventually he is alone again (can't remember how this comes about) and is able to leave the cave and reach a nearby town, where on telling his story he is told that some time before four men took refuge in that cave, and without hope of escape, committed suicide. The names of those men were the same as those the narrator encountered.

Has anyone else come across this story? I had thought that it might be by Ambrose Bierce, or perhaps Louis l'Amour or Stephen Crane but my googling has been unsuccessful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

fraid i can't help you storker - but just thinking it might be worth posting that query in the 'Literature' forum too.....you never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

alfa beta wrote: »
    fraid i can't help you storker - but just thinking it might be worth posting that query in the 'Literature' forum too.....you never know!

Thanks, I had searched for "Fiction", but never thought of "Literature". D'oh...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Found it. "The Stranger", by Ambrose Bierce. My memory of the plot was inaccurate on a few points, but it has been many years since I read it. Here it is, for the curious...

http://www.ambrosebierce.org/stranger.htm

Advertisement