Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XLR to trs pin 1 and xlr shell / screw tag

Options
  • 22-04-2013 9:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭

wiring a cable - one end xlr other end trs
    its a 2 core cable with a third bare core
    black red and bare metal

xlr tooooooooooooooooo trs
    pin 2 red wire = tip red wire
    pin3 black wire = ring black wire
    pin 1 bare wire = trs body bare wire

pin4 ??
    ( = screw tag not visible outside plug , and connects xlr outer shell metal shell to xlr body ( which is plastic )

there is no coresponding tag on the TRS jack

do i need to connect anything to this ( maybe pin 1 in the xlr )

its confusing me as some say do some say dont

thanks alot

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

This tag is for preserving the integrity of the shields across 2 XLR connectors. I hardly ever use it. If you were doing really long runs and joining many XLRs together there might be a case for using it. Or if EMI/RFI was penetrating the junction between two XLR cables. As you pointed out, there is no corresponding tag point on the TRS connector. That's because you don't usually 'back-to-back' 1/4" s. I believe the Neutrik Female 1/4" connector does provide a chassis tag. Fuggedabadit unless you have a problem. You're much more likely to have a hum by *joining* Pin 1 to the shield (at both ends, that is), unless the setup is a very basic one. If there are more than 2 units in a chain, I always lift the screen on my Input.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Wot he said ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

much obligated

Advertisement